By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Digger, Loader.

A bit of fun, not original, I saw it somewhere, gave inspiration,great fun.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
derek willis 102/09/2018 11:40:05
79 forum posts
9 photos

digger,loader..jpg

Derek Lane03/09/2018 16:54:51
3170 forum posts
964 photos

Now that is the type of thing that I enjoy making. a nice example of a great toy which will give hours of pleasure to a young one to play with.

Robin Buckland 303/09/2018 18:17:42
12 forum posts
18 photos
369 articles

Hi Derek,

This is the sort of thing that makes me wish I was any good at woodworking, I can imagine my young grandson being wide eyed at such a digger. Thanks for sharing this with us. thumbs up

Robin smile

derek willis 104/09/2018 09:31:06
79 forum posts
9 photos

I don't believe you Robin, your skills are more than adequate for this little

project, I don't do turning, so I had a friend turn the lengths of dowel for the wheels,

then Icut off on the bandsaw and recessed with a forstner bit,the rest is just a matter

of a few components made and then assembled.

derek.

Derek Lane04/09/2018 12:17:59
3170 forum posts
964 photos
Posted by derek willis 1 on 04/09/2018 09:31:06:

I don't believe you Robin, your skills are more than adequate for this little

project, I don't do turning, so I had a friend turn the lengths of dowel for the wheels,

then Icut off on the bandsaw and recessed with a forstner bit,the rest is just a matter

of a few components made and then assembled.

derek.

Another solution for wheels is to use a hole saw which will drill the axle hole as well as cut the outside diameter just a case of using the right sized hole saw for the size of wheel needed

derek willis 105/09/2018 10:04:11
79 forum posts
9 photos

Yes a hole saw works, but soon gets blunt cutting 14 wheels through 18mm hardwood, (Beech)

and then you start to loose the finish, tried it.

derek.

Derek Lane05/09/2018 11:34:09
3170 forum posts
964 photos

Just cleaned up the multiple postings Derek

Ron Davis05/09/2018 19:57:07
1585 forum posts
201 photos

Hole saws are meant for cutting metal, they have too many teeth for wood, all of them cut at the same time, they clog the teeth and then you have the fun of getting it out of the saw.

The only successful job I did with mine was cutting holes in plastic buckets so i could grow tomatoes in them!

Ron

Derek Lane06/09/2018 10:01:35
3170 forum posts
964 photos
Posted by Ron Davis on 05/09/2018 19:57:07:

Hole saws are meant for cutting metal, they have too many teeth for wood, all of them cut at the same time, they clog the teeth and then you have the fun of getting it out of the saw.

The only successful job I did with mine was cutting holes in plastic buckets so i could grow tomatoes in them!

Ron

Not had a problem I found if i drilled a hole next to the line on the waste side or cut right up to the edge it gave somewhere for the dust to go and helped keep the teeth clear. Been using mine for some time like this. I also ten t drill from both sides otherwise the plug ends up right in the hole saw and can be difficult to get out.

derek willis 106/09/2018 13:20:55
79 forum posts
9 photos

Well, I guess we all have our way of doing things, best left alone.

Derek.

Ron Davis06/09/2018 19:51:04
1585 forum posts
201 photos

Thanks Derek, I will remember that one if I need to do it again. The last time I did this I was asked to drill three 90mm holes in a piece of marine play and both the hole and the piece cut outwere needed. don't as whatthe job was as I only got to do paert of it.

Ron

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Chris Tribe Furniture
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Tool Post
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact