By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Elektra beckum HC 260 m plainer & thicknesser

Working but not how it should

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mark Lowe16/05/2018 11:15:56
4 forum posts
Hi,I've purchased a plainer on eBay and while ago ,when picking it up the chap showed me it working ,it didn't start with the switch he had to give the belt attached to motor a pull then it kicked in said it need a new starter everything else was fine it plains good I can't find any starter part on any spares sites wondering if someone knows anything else why it don't start with the switch and could push me in the right direction to fix it thanks Mark
Derek Lane16/05/2018 16:01:36
3157 forum posts
958 photos

He could be talking about a capacitor. If so these can be brought but check that the rating matches that of the old one

Mark Lowe17/05/2018 07:55:32
4 forum posts
Thanks Derek I'll check numbers and that and see if I can find one
John F19/05/2018 21:25:39
41 forum posts
11 photos

Mark, it will almost certainly be a capacitor start motor -- either don't pull the belt to start it or use GREAT care /I know of one person who lost a digit from his thumb doing this -- no give in V belts and pulleys !

However I digress but suggest you try Power capacitors or their subsidiary Transwave in Birmingham they will for sure be able to supply your needs.

Mark Lowe20/05/2018 08:16:20
4 forum posts
Thanks John haven't used it for a while and won't be until it's working properly there's a great difference in price ?6 to ?35 on line will be giving them a call tho see if they can tell me in layman terms as it's a bit technical reading it off the computer screen thanks again Mark
Mark Lowe24/05/2018 06:39:06
4 forum posts
Hi,just replaced the capasitor, transwave we're very helpful quoted 15 + 10 delivery sent me the details ,looked on line found one with same details 3 pound +free delivery ,opted for the cheap one .fitted it but when I turned it on it hummed quite loudly the cutter block turned about an inch ,turned it off turned the block a couple of times just to see if it was stuck tryed again and it worked done this a couple of times with a did then didn't work just turnd the block half a turn when trying again then it would work is this still the capasitor or could be something else cheers Mark

Edited By Mark Lowe on 24/05/2018 06:41:03

Edited By Mark Lowe on 24/05/2018 06:41:25

Edited By Mark Lowe on 24/05/2018 06:42:12

Edited By Mark Lowe on 24/05/2018 06:42:50

Dave Gibbons25/05/2018 11:39:45
3 forum posts

First post on here. Have you cleaned all of the shavings out of it?. I Have just refurbished a Rexon Planer. even the switch housing was full! It could be so full that it may be binding. Another thought is the brushes, Pull them out and check. also the commutator on the motor, is it clean? cotton bud with IPA through the brush hole and turn the motor slowly

Gerald Martin 102/06/2018 12:59:25
2 forum posts

For the UK market depending on motor and model, I believe an additional capacitor and wiring was added to limit the current drawn during initial start-up when operated on a ring main, some models being directly wired into a 16 amp supply.

Ron Davis02/06/2018 19:16:38
1579 forum posts
201 photos

IPA, India Pale Ale?

Gerald Martin 103/06/2018 09:09:31
2 forum posts

Isopropanol Alcohol (IPA) is an alcohol-based chemical cleaning agent designed to remove oil and residue.

Ron Davis03/06/2018 17:52:28
1579 forum posts
201 photos

Right, never drink and turn!

Ron

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Good Woodworking or The Woodworker? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Good Woodworking & The Woodworker

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Woodworking? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Chris Tribe Furniture
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact