By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Beginner

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
John Wills 109/05/2018 13:29:41
5 forum posts

Apologies if this is not an appropriate place to post my question.

Coming up to retirement I would like to develop working with wood as a hobby.

Where can I get advice for setting up and learning the techniques, skills, tools, suppliers that I should consider. Doe The Woodworker have articles for novice woodworkers?

I do have an eye on making an acoustic guitar in the future.

Derek Lane09/05/2018 22:42:50
3157 forum posts
958 photos

You could look around your local area to see if there are any adult classes that you could attend. Everything that I have learnt is from books. I am a hobby woodworker/turner but there are still lots that I would like to learn. Be carefull of places like U tube as there are some very bad video's on there as well as some good ones it is a case of know which is which.

Ask questions on the many forums that are around as well can reap many answers

derek willis 112/05/2018 09:53:40
64 forum posts
10 photos

John, there is little more to say after Derek's comments, but, log onto and

join "Router Forums", to my mind this is he best anywhere, vast and worldwide,

basically USA members but a Canadian site, I know members from Australia, Africa,

Croatia, and so many more. You will learn a lot.

Derek.

John Wills 112/05/2018 16:28:39
5 forum posts

Thanks chaps,

I'm going to local adult classes ASAP

Paul Bodiam08/06/2018 16:07:06
94 forum posts
42 photos

Hi John

Sorry for joining this thread late, I've only been an occasional visitor to this forum recently.

I applaud your ambition to make an accoustic guitar. If you have acess to The Woodworker digital archive (or fancy purchasing some back-numbers) I wrote a series of articles in 2012 on buildig a tenor ukulele (published july 2012 to december 2012) which covers all the same techiques as building a classical guitar, just at 2/3 scale.

These articles gave rise to this thread: http://www.getwoodworking.com/forums/postings.asp?th=68823

Where in the country are you located? If anywhere near me (North Hampshire) I'd be happy to meet for a beer and a chat about instrument making.....

cheers

Paul

Derek Lane08/06/2018 20:08:29
3157 forum posts
958 photos

Try this http://www.getwoodworking.com/forums/postings.asp?th=68823 for Pauls Build

Edited By Derek Lane on 08/06/2018 20:09:26

John Wills 109/06/2018 18:08:49
5 forum posts

Hello Paul,

Very interesting stuff.

I'm going to send you a pm.

KR

John

John Wills 109/06/2018 18:27:25
5 forum posts

BTW, Im currently reading Build Your Own Acoustic Guitar, Jonathan Kinkead and Making an Archtop Guitar, Robert Benedetto.

I have an interest in a Dreadnought Guitar and an f hole Archtop. The Dreadnought because the Martin is a classic design and they sound great. The Archtop because they are just so beautiful as well as sounding great.
I'm due some surgery which just delayed me enrolling on an Adult Evening Class at a local school where the instructor has actually made guitars, so that will be cool when I recover enough to attend.

KR

John

Julian13/06/2018 12:52:02
534 forum posts
28 photos

Hi John, I remember reading Paul's article and thinking how well explained it was, I am sure it's not as easy as Pauls article would suggest. Also you may wish to have a look at Crimson Guitars in Dorset, I have been watching and speaking to Ben Crowe at the Yandles Woodworking Show for a few years now and he has some excellent You-tube videos as well. -- Julian

John Wills 113/06/2018 13:43:45
5 forum posts

Hi Julian, Thanks for the link. Crimson do have an interesting portfolio of work. It does all seem to be electric guitar biased and as I'm almost 100% focused on acoustic guitars are not sure if they would be for me. I'll ask them. I'm actually keen on attending an acoustic guitar making course in Queensland, Australia next year. As I love the guitars the luthier makes. KR John

Julian17/06/2018 16:43:51
534 forum posts
28 photos

Well I wish you luck with your build John, if you have ever done any woodturning you may have a look at Andrew Hall's website He is a professional woodturner and runs courses for his Blues Guitars. He had a series of tutorials in some recent copies of the Woodworker. He is up in County Durham. Julian

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Chris Tribe Furniture
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact