Power chuck

Just bought record RP3000

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Jason Denby04/02/2018 09:22:27
14 forum posts
12 photos

good morning,

I have just bought a record power chuck off ebay and not sure I have done the right thing as since buying I have read that these can be a little awkward to use for the novice Turner.

Does this sound correct or have I just read an article where someone has had a particularly bad experience?

I also read somewhere that for the novice Turner I would be better with a scroll chuck as these are more secure and safer to use.

Bearing in mind also that I am not a daft lad! My experiences in life have paid dividends especially from the education my father has given me in all manner of trades from engineering to building and making things work.

Regards

Jason

Derek Lane04/02/2018 10:34:09
3157 forum posts
958 photos

If it is one of their scroll chucks there are many out there that have them. I use a Robert Sorby Patriot chuck which is also a scroll chuck they are great for turning. Which model is it or could you post a picture.

It is always awkward to go by one persons point of view you really need a few to get a better idea what a product is like.

Ron Davis04/02/2018 17:31:20
1580 forum posts
201 photos

I have a Record chuck and it is a scroll chuck, and a good one. I am not sure why someone would tell you that a record chuck is not a scroll chuck. Is the chuck reltively new? is so get on and use it.

Ron

Jason Denby08/02/2018 15:37:46
14 forum posts
12 photos
Posted by Derek Lane on 04/02/2018 10:34:09:

If it is one of their scroll chucks there are many out there that have them. I use a Robert Sorby Patriot chuck which is also a scroll chuck they are great for turning. Which model is it or could you post a picture.

It is always awkward to go by one persons point of view you really need a few to get a better idea what a product is like.

HI Derek,

I will attach a picture of my chuck as now received it.,

Jason Denby08/02/2018 15:42:48
14 forum posts
12 photos
Posted by Jason Denby on 08/02/2018 15:37:46:
Posted by Derek Lane on 04/02/2018 10:34:09:

HI Derek,

I will attach a picture of my chuck as now received it.,

40529e1c-e114-4091-b72d-ee513c0dc569.jpeg

Ron Davis08/02/2018 17:12:09
1580 forum posts
201 photos

I have used the Craft suppies versio of this and was really glad to get a scroll chuck, my Axminster is now 25 years old and still as good as new and transformed what I can do on the lathe.

Ron

Derek Lane08/02/2018 17:25:40
3157 forum posts
958 photos

Not the ones I was thinking of when you first posted but an older design chuck.

I have a Multistar chuck using the same principle as yours. I found it a great little chuck even though you sometimes need a third hand. Get to know how to use it and it will help with basic turning of bowls.

As Ron said the newer scroll chucks are a lot better and easier to use, like most things someone is always developing new designs

Paul Bodiam28/02/2018 21:54:16
94 forum posts
42 photos

Sorry for the late reply to this thread, Jason.

I have the same RP3000 chuck kit sitting in a drawer in my workshop - although with a few more pieces than shown in your picture. I used it for a couple of years when I first started out but it is a bit fiddly and inflexible.

Eventually I invested in a good scroll chuck with 3 different sets of jaws, and a dedicated faceplate which I use for bowl turning.

The only thing I still use the old RP3000 Chuck for is when I need a screw chuck. I keep it permanently configured as a screw chuck.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Good Woodworking or The Woodworker? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Good Woodworking & The Woodworker

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Woodworking? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Chris Tribe Furniture
Tool Post
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact