By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

MANUAL FOR SIP 01489 BANDSAW

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Martin Grindell13/12/2017 17:01:59
9 forum posts
2 photos

Hi guys,

I have just joined the forum as I have recently taken up woodworking (after a 45 odd year absence from it - since school!). Looking to build a boat next year and want to do some fundamentals first.

I have just battled the wilds of Widdale (if anyone knows where that is!) to pick up a SIP 01489 bandsaw from Northallerton. Won on ebay. Described as in excellent condition but frankly isn't as the fence has parts broken and missing and, the original v belt is in bits inside and there's rust on the table. All of this of course is my problem. I think the machine has the potential to be a good bit of kit, with a little work.

Trouble is I have no real idea what I am doing as this is my first ever piece of workshop machinery! Will follow the youtube guides for setup etc and get some new tuffsaw blades but what I could really do with is the original user manual.

Would anyone have a link to this manual or can point me in the right direction? The SIP website is not entirely helpful in this regard.

Many thanks for any assistance.

Martin

Banjoman14/12/2017 13:44:14
5 forum posts

Martin,

You may already have found this, but there is a manual for the other 14" SIP bandsaw (the 01444) available on their website: **LINK**.

They equally provide a complete spare parts list for both the 01444 and the 01489 (**LINK**), complete with an link to an exploded diagram of the 01489 (**LINK**).

Most bandsaws that I've looked at are very much like one another (and I suspect that quite a few of them, irrespectrive of brand, are built in the same place or places in China), so although the exact shape, size, colour and/or placement of a part might vary a little between two models, it is highly unlikely that there'll be any dramatic or unsurmountable differences.

The above information in conjunction with some common sense and a spot of thinking things through might thus hopefully help you through the process of bringing your new piece of kit back to full working condition.

Mattias

Edited By Banjoman on 14/12/2017 13:45:06

Martin Grindell14/12/2017 14:45:19
9 forum posts
2 photos

Thanks Mattias for the link. I had not found that manual.

I have now spent about 3 hours cleaning the bandsaw up and it's fundamentally sound. I had seen the exploded diagrams and rang SIP for spares - they just referred me to another company - can't remember the name - who told me none of the spares I need are available - the factory is no longer in existence apparently.

I have found a supplier for the table insert - for another model but looks exactly the same - and have asked Axminster if the SIP is the same as their 350 model (which was suggested somewhere on the internet). It looks as though the 350 is identical to the professional model whose manual you provided the link to, rather than mine, but the wheels are both 350mm in diameter so the tyres may well ft. If the table is also identical the I may be able to just buy a whole fence assembly in order to get the machine usable.

The most important bit really is the fence as without that it is not much use for what I want to do with it but hopefully, as you say, with a bit of perseverance it will be achievable.

Many thanks for your assistance.

Martin

Ron Davis14/12/2017 17:49:27
1585 forum posts
201 photos

The drive belt is not a problem, a mate of mine has that model and he replaced the drive belt with one meant for a Record saw. I doubt the fence the same as record as they use their own guide.

I think you were miss sold and you should complain the Ebay as the saw is definitely not in excellent condition.

Ron

Martin Grindell15/12/2017 08:18:30
9 forum posts
2 photos

Thanks Ron. On closer inspection what I thought was the drive belt was the lower wheel tyre in bits (see; I told you I didn't know what I was doing!). The upper tyre is also about to go. The table insert also had bits missing - presumably because of the missing wheel tyre throwing all the alignment out. Luckily I have found a source of supply for both at Bedford Saws - apparently this saw is the same as one of the Elektra Beckum models.

I will probably have to invest in the Axminster fence upgrade to sort that problem out. Expensive!

I should have followed my instinct when I first set eyes on the saw and saw the filthy state it was in. Apparently the woman had been using it for sawing logs (!). But it was peeing with rain and I had already invested at least £20 in fuel and a four hour round trip in foul weather conditions to get it so went ahead.

Ebay aren't interested because I paid cash on collection - as long as they get their fees they really couldn't care less.

Fundamentally it will be a sound saw but will just have cost more than really wanted to pay. Lesson learned!

I would still be interested in the manual for a 01489 model if anyone has a pdf they could send me.

Cheers

Martin

Ron Davis15/12/2017 17:16:22
1585 forum posts
201 photos

There is a lot of similarity in the saws, mine is a Metabo and is simply a renamed Electra Beckum, had it few years and still cuts well.

Ron

Edited By Ron Davis on 15/12/2017 17:17:12

Martin Grindell16/12/2017 11:51:13
9 forum posts
2 photos

Yes Ron; mine appears identical to a Metabo 317. I have therefore ordered a complete new rip fence assembly from Miles Tool and Machinery for that model. Unfortunately, following through from the exploded diagram on their website doesn't appear to work as the item that has just turned up is something completely different!

The saga continues.

Cheers

Martin

Ron Davis16/12/2017 16:32:04
1585 forum posts
201 photos

Try putting some photo's up, some one may be able to help

Ron

Martin Grindell18/12/2017 11:33:56
9 forum posts
2 photos

The company concerned has acknowledged that they sent the wrong item and are going to swap it, hopefully some time in the next few days.

In any event, not sure how to load photos so help with this would be appreciated.

Cheers

Martin

Martin Grindell18/12/2017 15:46:47
9 forum posts
2 photos

OK I think I've worked out how to upload photos.

dsc00728.jpg

So here's my broken rip fence.dsc00730.jpg

And here's the replacement!

Cheers

Martin

Ron Davis18/12/2017 17:33:27
1585 forum posts
201 photos

Hopefully you are sorted now, be careful I can see why the old one was broken, the plastic is not very strong.

Ron

Eddy Meechan17/08/2018 11:11:59
2 forum posts

Hi all.

I know this is an old post, but it's potentially relevant to my predicament. My dad has a Sip 01489 bandsaw and the drive belt has worn away. We've got a replacement, but can't fit it. The manual says 'To change the belt the lower bandwheel must be removed', but doesn't give any indication as to how you do this. There's a circlip on the wheel shaft, and I assumed that it if I removed that the wheel would simply slide off, but it won't shift in the slightest. The wheel is in two parts with the central part bolted to the outer part with five bolts. I undid all the bolts but couldn't separate the two parts of the wheel. Does anyone know how to remove the lower bandwheel on the Sip 01489? I notice in a posting on this thread that Ron Davis wrote 'The drive belt is not a problem, a mate of mine has that model and he relaced the drive belt with one meant for a Record saw.' Ron, if you're still active on the forum, could you ask that mate of yours how he removed the lower bandwheel. Or indeed if anyone else has a 01489 and could shed a little light it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Eddy.

Ron Davis19/08/2018 17:18:33
1585 forum posts
201 photos

Hi Eddy, with mine and my friends we just took the circlip off and the pulley slides forwards, do take the blade off first though.

it sound like the bearings are rusted onhe shaft, try WD 40 or a proper penterating oil, leave to soak in for 24hours. Try again and if no joy you wil need a puller, which I suspect you will need to make.

When the WD40 has had time to soak in, try tapping it into the machine and then pulling it, you must keep it square to the shaft or you might break it.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on

Ron

Martin Grindell19/08/2018 18:27:26
9 forum posts
2 photos
Posted by Ron Davis on 19/08/2018 17:18:33:

Hi Eddy, with mine and my friends we just took the circlip off and the pulley slides forwards, do take the blade off first though.

it sound like the bearings are rusted onhe shaft, try WD 40 or a proper penterating oil, leave to soak in for 24hours. Try again and if no joy you wil need a puller, which I suspect you will need to make.

When the WD40 has had time to soak in, try tapping it into the machine and then pulling it, you must keep it square to the shaft or you might break it.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on

Ron

Yes what he said. I have replaced the drive belt (twice!) and it was very straightforward once the circlip was removed.

Cheers

Martin

Eddy Meechan21/08/2018 19:43:20
2 forum posts

Ron and Martin,

Thanks very much. I did as you suggested and it did eventually come off, so the drive belt has been replaced and the bandsaw is up and running again, much to the relief of my dad, who's been a bit lost without it. I suspected that the wheel might be simply stuck, but I didn't dare take a hammer to it until someone who knows what they're talking about had given me the green light.

After fourteen years of trouble-free use, the bandsaw's capacitor and drive belt gave up the ghost within a few weeks of each other. I wish I'd come across this forum sooner, because the trouble we had with the drive belt was as nothing compared to the rigmarole we went through to firstly determine that a burnt out capacitor was the reason the bandsaw wouldn't start , and secondly to track down a suitable replacement. I suspect that someone on this forum might have been able to save me a shedload of trouble. However, I did learn a bit about capacitors in the process, so if anyone out there is in need of one for a Sip 01489 bandsaw, I'm your man.

Thanks again.

Eddy.

Edited By Eddy Meechan on 21/08/2018 19:48:49

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Chris Tribe Furniture
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Tool Post
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact