By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Restoring old Union Graduate

Advise needed

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David King 1607/04/2017 18:00:17
3 forum posts
  1. I' am a newbie. I have enjoyed browsing the site from time to time but joined today as I have a problem and seeking the combined wisdom of willing helpers
  2. Bought an old Graduate on Ebay in very neglected state. I decided to strip it down completely, fit new bearings etc. and spray paint. I did the same in 1986 to the 30" bed version and also the short bed so, despite being in my 70's, I thought it a nice project to keep me out of trouble BUT I'm in trouble! Can anyone advise?
  3. The first grub screw, on the outboard side, holding the bearing bush to the spindle would not come out - all the rest have been easy. I used WD40 overnight, Oil, heat and after several frustrating days, resorted to drilling it out. Then, following the procedure in the manual for changing spindle I removed the other grub screws and with block of wood in place, tapped the spindle in the direction of the bed but the bush stayed put. It should have slipped off the end of spindle, followed by the pulley etc.
  4. I have done everything I know how to get the bush to move but without success. Any suggestions will be gratefully received.
Derek Lane08/04/2017 14:29:04
3204 forum posts
990 photos

I am not familiar with that lathe mechanicaly that is. But some lathes use a double grub screw arrangement where they put one in and tighten it followed by a secons which tightens onto the forst so as to lock it and prevent the part coming loose. Could this be a possibility in your case.

David King 1608/04/2017 15:43:54
3 forum posts

Thanks Derek but no. It did have the second grub screw, top one came out no probs but the bottom one....another story. The story gets worse, father in law of neighbour, retired engineer, visited last night and offered help. Insisted on removing all grub screws and has now left me with the spacers for both in and out board loose on spindle and I can't get them back in the headstock for love nor money!

Derek Lane08/04/2017 16:45:53
3204 forum posts
990 photos

Forgot to add welcome to the forum. Hope you get the second problem solved. It is good that these machines are getting a second lease of life and being used. They are meant to be good lathes from what I have heard from owners. I am only using a Record Power CL3 but enjoy turning.

David King 1608/04/2017 17:10:58
3 forum posts

Hi again Derek, I too have a CL3 which I will sell when I get the Graduate up and running. I started turning in 1984 with a Coronet Major, they were an amazing machine for their time. I love the CL3, very solid and the phosphor bronze baring takes some beating IMO. David

Derek Lane08/04/2017 17:39:48
3204 forum posts
990 photos

I find it a great lathe but I wish it had a through hole in the head stock shaft to use as a holding for morse taper attachments and also to fit a vac chuck but like most things I find other means of doing things.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tool Post
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact