Circular wooden column

6 inch diameter roller

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David Nevin13/12/2016 11:55:00
57 forum posts
26 photos

Gents As i have no lathe or friends with one can anybody advise were I can get

a 6 inch by 24 inch long wooden roller from. This is to help a friend who is trying to rebuild an old washing hand mangle

Any help would be appreciated

Many Thanks

David N

Julian13/12/2016 12:41:36
547 forum posts
28 photos

Hi David - This one is not as easy and straight forward as it may first sound. You may well find that the roller will need to be crowned and it will probably have a square shaft running through it so the roller will either need to be breached or done in two halves after milling the centre hole. I think most of the mangle rollers were made of Beach. I only repeat this because I have read it from posts on the AWGB Forum recently. I wonder if you were to look up your local woodturning club on the AWGB website you may find someone local that could do the job for you. I know your woodworking skills are very good so it shouldn't be too much of a problem for the average turner if you can work together on it. - Hope you are successful --- Julian

David Nevin14/12/2016 10:36:39
57 forum posts
26 photos

Julian Many thanks for your input Will work on contacting the local wood turning club

Many Thanks

David

derek willis 119/12/2016 13:20:55
99 forum posts
12 photos

David,

I wanted to get to answer your post before but I've been locked out for god knows what reason.

I was going to suggest that if you still have difficulty, make a router lathe box, big enough to contain

your required piece, set up the top to be able to slide a router along with a large bull nosed cutter fitted

lag bolts at either end to provide axis and drive one with shaft or drill, this works very well although a bit

long winded.

Derek.

David Nevin20/12/2016 10:01:22
57 forum posts
26 photos

Derek

Many thanks for the input have put on back burner till after Christmas

David

Chelsey Smith21/12/2016 01:19:58
1 forum posts

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone help me differentiating parawood and sheesham wood? Which is better for floors? Apologies in advance as I am new to this and clearly got no idea of it. Hoping someone experienced can help me. Google search led me here.

Thanks in advance you guys!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Chippendale
Tool Post
D&M Tools
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact