By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Extractor Problems

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
John F04/12/2016 23:21:16
47 forum posts
16 photos

Hi everyone, I have a Charnwood W790 dust/chip extractor acquired S/Hand but it seems almost unused, however I am experiencing a a problem !

Its fine with sawdust but when used with the planer or thicknesser even with fairly small cuts say 0.5 to 1mm the chips block the 100mm tube where it enters the fan duct on the machine.

It would appear that the vents are the problem?

Any comments ideas gratefully received

Cheers John

Big Al05/12/2016 07:29:41
1592 forum posts
73 photos

I have had a couple of these extractors in the past and had the same problem. On the ones I had there, where the pipe attaches is a metal cross covering the blades which suck the debris into the extractor, which I assumed was for a safety reason. I just cut them out and never had the problem again.

Al

John F05/12/2016 09:07:48
47 forum posts
16 photos

Thanks Al I looked at than and thought the same but decided to ask around before taking the plunge. Cheers John

Ron Davis05/12/2016 18:00:22
1603 forum posts
201 photos

RonI did the same before I started mine for the first time, and never had a problem. I suppose that a piece of rag or something heavy would damage the blades in the impellor, but so far so good.

John F05/12/2016 18:55:01
47 forum posts
16 photos

Hi Ron, thanks for the input it does say on the Charnwood site "Supplied with 'indestructible' steel fan " how indestructible I wonder ? guess it means its pretty tough but I will not put it to the test !

John

Big Al06/12/2016 17:11:01
1592 forum posts
73 photos

To be fair an extractor will never pick up anything dense and heavy. Even industrial ones never usually suck up screws or nails, just dust and shavings. The only time you hear a bang of any type is when a loose knot or dowel goes up the extractor.

Al

Derek Lane06/12/2016 19:01:46
3204 forum posts
990 photos

I had the same problem with my extractor but instead of the cage on the inlet it was on the outlet. When planing it would block up, I removed mine and have had no problems since.

If worried about lump getting into the fan unit build a separator to fit in line before the unit. It will collect all the muck and make it easier to empty.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Chippendale
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Tormek
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact