By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

GW v TW

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Neil Mackintosh25/10/2016 11:37:59
9 forum posts

Can't really see a suitable topic to post this in so the mods can move it if it's in the wrong place...

I am coming to the end of my second year subscribing to GW. I have to say I have enjoyed the magazine but I recently purchased a couple of back issues of TW (purely because they had articles I was interested in) which has left me wondering which of the 2 publications is right for me.

I am no expert and certainly not in the ranks of the many artisans who contribute to this forum but I can appreciate the craftmanship which goes into some of the pieces featured in GW. Whilst I enjoy reading the magazine, I do feel that - compared to TW - it's somewhat 'arty-farty' and is probably aimed at individuals who have far greater skills than I do.

I am thinking that I may be better off with a subscription to TW rather than GW but I wanted to sound out the members on here before making a decision. What are your views?

B

Derek Lane26/10/2016 15:59:41
3219 forum posts
1004 photos

Can't really advise you on this one as I have only ever brought The Woodworker. What type of things do you make

David A. Moody27/10/2016 02:10:26
120 forum posts
18 photos

I't s a touch choice, I'm tempted to subscribe to both, I already get G.W., and an Aussie magazine.

Neil Mackintosh27/10/2016 10:09:46
9 forum posts

I've done lots of projects over the years. Aside from external 'joinery' projects (fencing, planters, etagere, shed), I've built our kitchen cabinets from scratch and made oodles of furniture (bookcases, chests of drawers, bedside tables) My work is fairly basic woodworking albeit I have more tools now which make the jobs easier and enable me to do more 'complicated' work.

I don't use any exotic woods nor have I ever done any veneer/inlay work. I don't see me ever doing turned work.

As I said, I can appreciate the finer aspects of woodworking but my interests are a bit more basic being predominantly in the functional camp [as opposed to the aesthetic]

Just seemed to me that GW is more aimed at the purists. The back issues of TW I read seemed more at my level.

Yes - would be nice to have both but that's certainly beyond my budget!

Thanks to you both

B

Ron Davis27/10/2016 12:00:29
1619 forum posts
201 photos

I have subscribed to both for years, and I find my favourite mag varies from year to year, or more to the point from editor to editor! TW shades it at the moment but it will change, both mags are worth subscribing to

Ron

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Robert Sorby
Triton
Craft Supplies
Wood Workers Workshop
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact