By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Danish oil problems

Danish oil finishing problems

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Scott Reid 124/10/2016 17:50:44
3 forum posts

hi guys I hope you can help me I'm pretty new to all this . I have been reworking an old beaureu for my girlfriends parents and after sanding back and preparing everything I put a coat of dark oak Danish oil on the peice. After allowing this to cure for 24 hours I noticed a few scratches that needed to be reworked so I sanded again back to bare wood but since reapplying the Danish oil it's got a horrible grey dull tone to it that doesn't match the original colour I don't know how I can get this back to the warm tones that I originally had please if anyone can help thanks in advance

Big Al24/10/2016 20:59:57
1592 forum posts
73 photos

not something I have had a problem with, but then I usually use clear danish oil. It might sound a bit daft but did you shake the can before applying the oil?

Scott Reid 124/10/2016 21:32:50
3 forum posts

Yeah I did shake the can first maybe try using just a standard clear Danish oil after re sanding again for the second time 😤😤 can you see the photo of the peice and the gratis are ??

derek willis 125/10/2016 11:30:11
99 forum posts
12 photos

Scott.

It is very often so very difficult to obtain an overall equal finish by using ready stained finishes of any sort the only way to get an overall even stained finish is to stain to desired level first and then when stable to apply finish, do it this way and you will have a superb level of finish, whether using Danish Oil, Shellac or Rustins etc.

Good luck with your work,

derek.

Scott Reid 125/10/2016 12:15:01
3 forum posts

Hi derek thanks a lot for your reply if I was to take it back to bare wood and apply just clear Danish oil would that change the colour at all ?

derek willis 125/10/2016 13:25:40
99 forum posts
12 photos

Scott,

You don;t state the type of timber that the unit is made from, this is the main dependent factor

for finished colour, danish oil on a natural pale timber such as Beech, will give a soft golden

colour finish, but on darker timbers it will enhance the colour already present, Danish oil is

one of the finest finishes for furniture pieces because of the soft glow that emanates from it.

Derek.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Transwave 2017
Tormek
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact