By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Confessions of a jobbing joiner

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Martin Silman19/10/2016 17:56:57
2 forum posts

I found the above article in GW310 very useful and interesting, but as previously I'd rather have fewer projects in more detail. Some may be of no interest and not get read with the same attention, but as with the alcove wardrobes in this article - either there is not enough detail to emulate or I am dumber than I think....

The specific element I am struggling with are the side extensions - they obviously need to be rigid for the doors to function but they appear to be just tacked onto the outside edge of the alcove, which definitely would not give a rigid solution.

What am I missing?

David A. Moody21/10/2016 03:15:33
113 forum posts
18 photos

Hello Martin, if you look at the detail shots of the shelving you will notice that they have runners around the bottom edges where they hit the back and sides. I cannot say for sure, but it would be my guess that these runners would also serve as internal 'strengtheners' for the side extensions that concern you. Notice mainly though the picture in Step 7, there appears to be a hefty length of quadrant running down the sides from top to bottom, this quadrant if securely screwed in both directions would I imagine provide considerable support for the extensions. There also appears to be internal skirting around the bottom. I think all these factors combine to provide the necessary support. I hope this answers your question.

Martin Silman21/10/2016 08:26:26
2 forum posts

Thanks David - I deduced similar but that looks a very complex way to do the job compared to say running the side skirts all the way to the back of the alcove, which would then allow straight edges to the shelves and make everything else easier too...

However that would also make a big dent in the usable space, hence my question, as if there is a simple way to do this (and I am assuming we are both misreading this and over engineering it) then it is definitely something I'd like to mimic.

David A. Moody24/10/2016 06:56:21
113 forum posts
18 photos

Hello Martin, it is complex for sure, structurally it comes across as a bit of patchworking, but on the other hand it does make best use of available space, and the exterior quandrant does have a decorative element to it. I guess in the end it is something that you work out to best suit your needs and the situation at hand.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Chris Tribe Furniture
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Transwave 2017
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Tool Post
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact