By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

ERCOL coffee table split

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Russell Brocklehurst02/08/2016 15:13:15
1 forum posts

Hi woodworkers,

I bought an Ercol coffee table at a boot fair that needs a bit of work - firstly 3 or 4 splits. Can you get a clamp this wide (length to length) or is there an alternative?

http://misterb3003.tumblr.com/

Plus, is white spirit any different to cellulose thinners, if using to wire wool the surface?

Any advice appreciated, Russell

Derek Lane02/08/2016 20:40:51
3204 forum posts
990 photos

Here is a working link to one of the pictures

**LINK**

Edited By Derek Lane on 02/08/2016 20:41:36

derek willis 103/08/2016 09:48:45
99 forum posts
12 photos

Russell,

You should be able to hire sash cramps of indertiminate length from your local tool hire shop, don't forget to cushion the cramp ends so as not to damage the timber.As for the thinners, White spirit is quite gentle, be careful with cellulose thinners as it will strip back to bare wood and may damage the surface, it is very aggressive and useful in the hands of a professional,best be wary and keep away from it.

Derek.

Ron Davis03/08/2016 20:29:18
1603 forum posts
201 photos

As far as I can see from the picture, the splits are where the wood was edge jointed, if so the split will be caused by central heating drying out the last bit of moisture, I would be inclined to fill these with a appropriate coloured wax.

The stains look deep so I would be inclined to strip the old finish off and start again, I have recently had some good results with Chestnut Hard Wax Oil, easy to apply and a good finish. I used it on a coffee table I made from the cutout from a solid oak kitchen work top. I sanded the old finish back to bare wood and started again.

Good bargain there Russell, let us know how you get on.

Ron

Love the shoes!

Big Al04/08/2016 07:29:52
1592 forum posts
73 photos

Personally all that I would do is to strip the finish back to bare wood and re finish it and not worry about the splits.

There is a big difference between white spirit and cellulose thinners, white spirits is used on oil based finishes such as danish oil and varnishes, whereas cellulose thinners are for cellulose lacquers and paints.

Al

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Transwave 2017
Tormek
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact