By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

How to power drum sander with electric drill

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David A. Moody29/07/2016 05:56:16
120 forum posts
18 photos

hello,

My dad gave me his old drum sander, minus table, recently. I've built a new table for it, but I need to power it. I have little space, certainly no space for a permanent workshop, so everything that I'm making has to be portable and storable in a small storeroom. I've decided to follow the example of other people in similar situations to my own and power the sander with an electric drill that I have spare. The drum is mounted vertically, the belt pulley is at the top, so I've made a wooden pulley for the drill by clamping the drill to my table and using it like a mini lathe. The drill needs to be clamped vertically to the back of the drum sander. Has anyone done anything like this before? I would greatly appreciate suggestions for firmly mounting the drill. Thanks. David.

David A. Moody08/08/2016 03:38:37
120 forum posts
18 photos

I apologise to the spelling mistake in the title, the first word should be 'how'

(Hi David, That's sorted for you. Robin thumbs up

Edited By Robin Buckland 3 on 09/08/2016 13:43:55

David A. Moody28/08/2016 02:14:31
120 forum posts
18 photos

Hello, I've sorted the problem myself, just needed a more solid mounting that is adjustable and fitted with a pipe clamp to clamp onto the drill where there would normally be a handle. You can see the finished result here, including a video: http://woodworking.david-moody.info/drum-sander-drill-powered/

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact