By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Best portable thicknesser

Advice on which one.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mike Watkins04/07/2016 20:26:46
15 forum posts

I'm looking to buying a portable thicknesser and I'm looking at three makes but need advice as to which is best. The ones I've narrowed it down to are the Makita 2012NB, DeWalt 733 and the Metabo PH330. Excellent finish is the most important with build quality and easy blade change being close behind. I've also seen the Jet JWP12 but worry that might be a cheaper Chinese import?? Can anyone help. Has anyone used the Metabo? It seems to be a bit of an unknown. Thanks.

Derek Lane05/07/2016 14:27:22
3218 forum posts
1004 photos

Hi Mike not having used any of the ones you have listed, I think you would be pretty safe with any of them all being well know brands. DeWalt use to be pretty good with sorting any problems and also getting spares.

Jet are also good machines so would not worry with them especially if you get them from Axminster tools.

carol perry05/07/2016 14:28:41
2 forum posts

I have had a Dewalt 733 for many years.It is a very well made machine(Taiwanese)The rise and fall mechanism is chain driven as opposed to the plastic cogs on most others.The blades are straightforward to change using the on board tools and the noisy motor has more than enough power.I have had no trouble with the machine and have never needed any spare parts.One small point to mention is that wider boards,usually hardwoods,sometimes have to be pushed through(cleaning the steel beds with polish like Mr Sheen helps).The feed rollers are rubber,maybe a serrated metal infeed would rectify this.The Jet thicknesser you mention would probably be a lower cost option.I have aJet JBS 150 bandsaw and it is a great machine.I reckon the Makita would be of similar quality to the Dewalt.Incidently,these three machines are the ones I shortlisted before purchasing the Dewalt,which I would buy again.

Mike Watkins05/07/2016 18:39:50
15 forum posts

Many thanks Derek. I agree with you about Axminster, they're after sales service is brilliant. I'm edging towards the Makita but would really like to know about the Metabo. Dewalt users seem to swear by them but have heard that the quality isn't what it used to be. I wish Bosch made one, I'd have it like a shot! Thanks again, Mike.

Mike Watkins05/07/2016 18:57:01
15 forum posts

Thanks Carol. One minute I'm up for the Makita then the next I'm thinking the Dewalt is the one to go for?? Although Axminster are a great company to buy from, I'm still not sure about the Jet and I'm also keen to hear about the Metabo? So, any Jet and Metabo owners out there please?? Interesting your comment about the serrated metal rollers because that is one of the reason why I'm going for one of these machines. I already have a Record PT107 thickness planer which is a brilliant tool except for one thing, the serrated roller on the thicknessing mares the wood. Well it doesn't if you take off say at least half a mm. What I'm looking for is a machine to use for the final shave that doesn't dent the wood. Also something to use for smaller projects. Thanks again, Mike

carol perry06/07/2016 13:50:13
2 forum posts

Hi Mike.The Metabo will be a badged up import.German companies like Scheppach and Metabo offer lower end,generic machinery sourced from the far east.Their expensive stuff will be made in europe.In the past the majority of portable thicknessers were made in Taiwan(not sure where they are manufactured now)Looking at your requirements I think it is a 2 horse race between the Dewalt and Makita.Prices have gone up considerably.I paid £330 for my Dewalt(new)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Tormek
Tool Post
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact