Good Woodworking wants your help!

Tell us what you think..

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Beth Ashby - Subscriptions23/05/2016 15:17:10
5 forum posts
1 photos
19 articles

Here at Get Woodworking we are keen on listening to what the woodworking community has to say.

So, we want to hear your views... what do YOU want to see in your woodworking magazines? What do you like? What would you prefer less of?

No idea is too crazy and you never know you may even see it in the mag in the coming months!

Edited By Beth Ashby - Web Editor on 23/05/2016 18:03:51

Derek Lane23/05/2016 21:27:41
3190 forum posts
987 photos

Thought I would start the list off hopefully others will follow.

Some may already be covered but as a general woodworking magazine things like woodturning, cabinet making, using hand tools, scroll work. box making including inlay and veneering.

Edited By Derek Lane on 23/05/2016 21:28:49

Mike Jordan24/05/2016 07:28:14
149 forum posts
17 photos

I thought we covered this some weeks back with Tegan! In short, magazines are expensive, no one wants to pay for blatant repeats of articles, and if you don't pay the writers you won't get quality material to use. If it's not a unique design or something new, it's already on the net with a video showing how it's done. The furniture I formerly made is now imported from China at unachievable prices so perhaps no one can be bothered to make their own.

Beth Ashby - Subscriptions24/05/2016 07:33:08
5 forum posts
1 photos
19 articles

Hi Mike,

Tegan and I have been discussing this and your points are exactly why we wanted to ask you all and get your ideas. No one does want repeats and if there is anything that a member of Get Woodworking wants to see, we want to be able to give them the platform to do this!

Beth

derek willis 125/05/2016 12:06:00
92 forum posts
12 photos

Mike has a point about comparison costs with furniture, but, there is nothing like the

feeling of satisfaction that your own design and manufacture can bring, so keep the furniture

projects going but with the emphasis on a little simplicity because the average woodworker

is on a permanent learning curve and any project is an acheivement.

Derek.

Roger Jenkins26/05/2016 13:00:52
18 forum posts
44 photos

Would you accept a 1:20 wooden Model Plan to build a 1988 series 2 Mack Superliner for something totally different in your Magazine, as there's bound to be numerous readers who would enjoy having a go at something different to the usual furniture, & cabinet making articles.

Or maybe I supply all the artwork over a series of Magazine articles enabling any of your readers to build a magnificent Wooden Model of an Aussie Road-Train set to, 1:20 scale.

** Used to supply Toy Plans for publication in The Australian Woodworker Magazine for a number of years from 1985 to to about 1997 when the new editor changed the magazine's content.

Just a thought.

Roger.

Eric Harvey 106/07/2016 18:07:07
221 forum posts
81 photos

What would be nice would be articles written for people who don`t own all the posh powered tools,people that do most tings with hand tools(without biscuit jointers,planer/thickesser,etc,or the ones that don`t have hollowing rigs and stuff like that for lathe work,cheers,

Eric.

john hooley 106/07/2016 21:19:15
21 forum posts

what I like to is instead of test a tool why test 6 tools of one type from good to bad I am looking for a table saw below £ 200 there is that many what is the difference between them all or a drill etc just an idea

gerald meager08/07/2016 03:13:46
85 forum posts
2 photos

I've been a fan and subscriber for many years. What I've always liked is the fact that Good Woodworking has something for everybody whether amature professional Chippy cabinet maker Woodturner etc Iam aturner personally. What I would like to see in the woodturning articles in particular are pictures of the piece of wood the turner starts out with particularly if its some sort of nobly holey hollow form.Quite often I've looked at a finished piece and wondered what did that piece of wood look like before he started

Tegan Foley08/07/2016 10:10:25
19 forum posts

Hi Gerald, many thanks for your feedback and your thoughts and views are very much appreciated.

The point you raise is a very valid one and something I will definitely pass on to my authors. Give me a month or so to implement these changes, but it's very doable.

Once again, thank you for your kind comments regarding the magazine - we do our best to make it approachable to all, but we can't make it better without your input, so thank you!

If you have any other suggestions for me, please email directly: tegan.foley@mytimemedia.com

Best wishes,

Tegan

Tegan Foley08/07/2016 10:17:40
19 forum posts

Hi Eric, I am trying to introduce new series' looking at more simpler woodworking, made using basic tools, so I hope this will help.

And John, I have forwarded your comments on to Andy King and we will look at doing tool comparison round-ups and hopefully bring these in fairly soon.

Many thanks for your comments.

Best wishes,
Tegan

Eric Harvey 108/07/2016 18:06:47
221 forum posts
81 photos

Thanks Tegan,I`ll look forword to seeing the artilces,Regards,

Eric.

Mike Watkins08/07/2016 21:26:06
15 forum posts

Hi. I've been a subscriber since issue one and have always enjoyed reading the mag and still have every issue on my selves in the workshop. However, the last few years has seen the magazine change and lm very reluctantly coming to the point of cancelling my subscription. The move to mostly furniture and design, while probably attracting younger readers has sadly turn me off and l no longer read it from cover to cover, something l always did, usually twice! I often sit in the workshop and look back at pasted issues wihich all have interesting everyday useful projects, excellent tools reviews and how to based articles. Thank heavens you still have Andy King and Phil Davy! Without them l would have gone years ago. For me you need less about design, much less about design and more back to basics; tips, jigs, joints, tools, skills from beginners to advanced and more drawings. Take a look at America's Fine Woodworking magazine, it's brilliant at showing you how to make a project without the 'you must have a degree in design' attitude. For drawings just look at Woodsmith magazine.

Sorry, just the rantings of one of your older readers (58) who looks upon the early Nick Gibbs, Phil Davy and Andy King era as being the magazines best years. One last thing, whatever happened to not print the tool companies own words? All of the new products appear to be the tool company's on words or press releases. Accept Andy's reviews of course. Mike.

gerald meager09/07/2016 09:10:53
85 forum posts
2 photos

Hi Mike I agree with a lot of what you say I have every issue of Woodsmith Mag and I have all the back issues of Shop Notes on disc Fine Woodworking aswell. Woodsmith and shop notes are both aimed ant the garden shed woodworkers like many of us. Have you bought any of the Wood SmithDVDs they are now up to series 9 and are excellent value for money. A word ofcaution if you do purchase any, they can take an age to arrive.YOurs Ged Meager

Mike Watkins09/07/2016 13:31:15
15 forum posts

Thanks Gerald, glad to know I'm not the only one getting turn off by the art and design content however, I've a feel that we are in the minority! I'm a paid up member of both Fine Woodworking and Woodsmith magazines web content as well as the printed additions. They seem to hit the spot for me with well illustrated and interesting articles. Fine Woodworking no254 had some really great stuff in it and the one l especially liked was Bob VN Dyke's sharpening box., something l am definitely going to make. I could go on about that issue but the main point is, l honestly learnt something from every article. Thanks for the tip (there's a case in point, where did the 'tips' pages go in GW??) about the DVDs. I do have some and may well order some more in the future. Cheers, Mike.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Chris Tribe Furniture
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Transwave 2017
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Tool Post
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact