By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Metalica

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Derek Lane20/05/2016 17:08:55
3204 forum posts
990 photos

Another experiment with colour done using ebonising spray and Jo Sonja paints.

This is something totally different for me but I am still playing with colour and texture.

This is 7 1/4” tall and 3 1/2” at it’s widest and made from Holly

I have tried to photograph this all the way round to show the different hues in the colours

dscf6169 (2).jpg

dscf6167 (2).jpg

gerald meager09/07/2016 22:53:04
85 forum posts
2 photos

Looks good Also looks like your experiment is complete

Derek Lane10/07/2016 16:58:29
3204 forum posts
990 photos

Thank you Gerald. Still want to experiment some more, I will post as I get around to them. I have been busy casting some pen blanks and also been and got some wood which I am converting.

gerald meager11/07/2016 16:01:50
85 forum posts
2 photos

Hi derek I've never tried this colouring technique I know Nick Agars into it. Maybe you'd like to write a Forum note on how to do it I would be interested My late wife would have had my guts though she firmly believed that wood had its own beauty with the assistance of paint.

Derek Lane12/07/2016 11:29:05
3204 forum posts
990 photos

Hi Gerald first of all I only tend to colour plain pieces of wood all over, I may colour others but only as a high light to compliment the grain.

The process is a simple one turn you chosen shape and sand to a good finish as any scratches may show through which will spoil the completed item. I will not go into masking as I had to with this piece as that depends on the design of your turned piece.

The turned piece will then need a coat of ebonising black spray let this dry and check the finish as this will show any faults in the item including any sanding scratches, if needed rub down and give it a second coat of the black spray.

With this piece I used 5 Jo-Sonja iridescent paints Gold, Blue, Red, Green and Turquoise.

I started with the gold as my background colour, using a piece of screwed up news paper or something similar make sure it is lint/fibre free as you do not want anything sticking to the piece and spoiling the finish.

Dab the paper, cloth into the paint so that there is very little on it and then stencil/dab on to a clean paper sheet to get any access off. Now set to work on the piece as you require, This is repeated with all of the colours making sure you go over the edge of the previous one to make it look as if it is fades into it, no need to wait for the colours to dry at this point.

Once happy with the effect let it dry fully and give it a spray coat of your chosen varnish/lacquer.

I use spray cans for the finish coat as you can control the amount that goes on try to keep it to very thin coats.

Just hope that all makes sense to you

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Transwave 2017
Tormek
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact