By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Building Our Own Shepherd Hut

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Alex Granger30/04/2016 09:04:05
3 forum posts

Hello, my name's Al. Me, my partner, my father and our son are thinking about constructing our own Shepherd Hut together as we thought we could save a lot of money building it ourselves, plus it would be a great family bonding exercise. My father is very good with wood but he's not got the ability to be too physical so would just be overseeing it and giving guidance. I was wondering which kind of wood people here would recommend to use and what treatments to apply? This Shepherd Hut has to bring the family pleasure for years to come so I don't want it to be made from cheap wood and wood that hasn't been treated correctly. Should we treat the wood before construction or before? Any advice on the first stages of this project would be useful. We are under no real time constraints s just want to get it right and make sure the correct choices are made.

Derek Lane03/05/2016 09:53:23
3200 forum posts
990 photos

Hi Alex, try to visit some of the steam rallies around your area there may be some on display or better try rural museums which you could phone to see if they have any that you can go and see.

I have just come back from a long weekend from such a rally unfortunately all they had was model ones being towed behind working model steam engines, even though they are models they are scale which means that many are built to the same designs as full sized ones.

As for wood I am not sure, even those that I believe are made from cheaper woods they needed regular maintenance. The chassis would need to be made from stronger wood such as oak.

Sorry I could not be much help

Mike Jordan03/05/2016 17:03:52
153 forum posts
17 photos

MHi Al

I suggest you have a good look at the commercial versions and pick up a few ideas. They seem to vary in construction over a wide range. I've seen them clad with cedar boarding, match boarding, and wriggly tin with a plastic finish. I don't think you should worry about spending on materials! The ready made versions I looked at were priced from £17,000 to £25,000 seems a lot for a rather posh garden shed on wheels.

Alex Granger03/05/2016 18:49:52
3 forum posts
Posted by Derek Lane on 03/05/2016 09:53:23:

Hi Alex, try to visit some of the steam rallies around your area there may be some on display or better try rural museums which you could phone to see if they have any that you can go and see.

I have just come back from a long weekend from such a rally unfortunately all they had was model ones being towed behind working model steam engines, even though they are models they are scale which means that many are built to the same designs as full sized ones.

As for wood I am not sure, even those that I believe are made from cheaper woods they needed regular maintenance. The chassis would need to be made from stronger wood such as oak.

Sorry I could not be much help

I appreciate you responding, thanks for letting me know your thoughts, it all helps.

Alex Granger03/05/2016 19:09:12
3 forum posts
Posted by Alex Granger on 03/05/2016 19:02:30:
Posted by Mike Jordan on 03/05/2016 17:03:52:

MHi Al

I suggest you have a good look at the commercial versions and pick up a few ideas. They seem to vary in construction over a wide range. I've seen them clad with cedar boarding, match boarding, and wriggly tin with a plastic finish. I don't think you should worry about spending on materials! The ready made versions I looked at were priced from £17,000 to £25,000 seems a lot for a rather posh garden shed on wheels.

Thanks for the response, yep the range and styles are quite extensive. You get basic little tin ones through to lovely big wooden ones. Some of the nice ones are very expensive to buy and I'm sure we can make something just as nice ourselves without spending crazy money. Been spending the last couple of days looking at some shepherd huts for sale online **LINK** to get an idea on shape, size, materials, design etc.

Sam05/05/2016 22:51:09
386 forum posts
110 photos

Hi Alex , and guys , been a while since logging on for various reasons , anyway there is a local company near me that make complete or self build kits . You can probably glean alot of build ideas and methods if you look through their gallery . http://www.blackdownshepherdhuts.co.uk/self-build-shepherd-huts-flat-pack-shepherd-hut-kit/

The self build kits are an eye watering price , well , for what I see but may be worth it depending on your idea of value . Good luck on your build . I was only looking as my darling wife would like a shepard hut , style hut with out the wheels for the garden for a summer house type of thing .

Cheers Sam

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Triton
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Tool Post
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact