By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Thickness / Planer problem

Record PT107

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mike Watkins16/04/2016 08:55:45
15 forum posts

I have a problem with my the in feed roller on my PT107. To a lesser or greater degree the metal serrated in feed roller leaves cut marks or tracks in the wood!?? If the cut is heavy, say 1.5mm plus, then the marks are cut away, however if l want to make a very light pass then the marks don't get removed. Very frustrating from an otherwise great machine.

My previous planer had rubber rollers and didn't mark the timber. Has anyone had this problem and is there a solution? Cheers, Mike.

Mike Jordan17/04/2016 18:08:03
160 forum posts
17 photos

Hi Mike. All the thickness planers I have seen have been fitted with adjustable tension springs which pull the rollers down onto the timber. These are viewed from the underside and have a pair of locking nuts to allow the tension to be adjusted. My Sedgewick makes the marks you mention, particularly in softwood but they need only about half a mill off to remove them. It sounds as if your machines rollers are a little to tight. If the rollers are not adjustable I suggest that you use a trial piece to set the thickness before passing your material through at finished size.

Mike Watkins17/04/2016 18:32:38
15 forum posts

Thanks Mike, that sounds like the solution. I'll check out the manual and see how the roller is adjusted on this machine. Do you think there's a chance it can be changed for a rubber covered roller? I'll have a scout round the Internet and see I that's a possibility. Anyway, many thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely give it a try, also good idea about the test piece or l guess, one last finishing swipe on the top?? Cheers.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact