By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Need some basic milling in Dublin, Ireland

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mark Gibney25/02/2016 17:21:04
2 forum posts

Hi all - I'm looking for someone in the Dublin, Ireland, area to mill some old beech boards for my brother.

I'm a woodworker, but I've lived in Los Angeles since for ever, and I don't know anything about the woodworking seen in Europe.

The two boards are about 45" long, 13" wide, and far as I remember about 1 1/4" thick. They sat around in a farmyard shed for decades, and have been in a suburban garage for several years now. The surfaces are interestingly discolored, but they are sound, and have no embedded grit, and are not too far from being flat.

Each board has a live edge, and my brother suggested they could be married to be a coffee table.

Anyone know someone who could run them across a jointer and then thru a planer?

thanks, Mark

Derek Lane26/02/2016 16:31:42
3219 forum posts
1004 photos

He will need to find a wood supplier in his area that has the equipment or a wood working company to see if they are prepared to do it. Most will not touch wood from unknown sources as they will not want to find any nails and the like in it. If someone is prepared to machine it then they may charge a small fortune for time and wear and tear on the machine. The other choice will be to plane it by hand which can be a long job

Mark Gibney02/03/2016 15:13:47
2 forum posts

Thanks Derek, I'll pass this advice on to him.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Marriott & Co
Craft Supplies
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Transwave 2017
Robert Sorby
Wood Workers Workshop
Tormek
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact