By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

sliding compound mitre saw problems..

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
R p 118/01/2016 17:42:14
1 forum posts

Hi there,

Initially I believed the saw blade was bent but after installing a brand new blade today I had the exact same problem. The cuts are not straight and as you can see from the image the wood is tight against the blade at the front but towards the back appears a few mm off and this is straight after the cut before I have moved the wood. The problem is made worse when using the sliding function, does anyone know how this can be fixed??

Many thanks in advance!!!

**LINK**

Derek Lane20/01/2016 11:20:28
3218 forum posts
1004 photos

Have you checked the bearings for wear. When you make a cut especially on a wider board if you make a cut nearly all the way through does the saw cut have a wider cut at the beginning of the cut

Mike Jordan25/01/2016 16:45:06
160 forum posts
17 photos

It looks much the same fault that can occur with a radial arm saw if the blade is not exactly parallel with the arm of the saw. In that case just a fraction out of track will tend to cause a burn mark on the end grain.

My problem with this diagnosis is that a radial arm saw is usually fitted with a motor head that is designed to rotate through 90 degrees when required but I havn't seen a sliding chop saw with a rotating head.

It looks as if the blade is not parallel with the bed bars in your case. If the angle of the head is not adjustable then it would be a good idea to look at the pivot bolt that allows the blade to rise and fall, or any other part of the saw that can allow the blade to move out of track.

A dial gauge is what I use to check my RA saw but the photo seems to show a deviation which should be visible using a square from the fence.

Mike.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Tormek
Tool Post
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact