By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Play things

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Derek Lane14/12/2015 21:38:46
3204 forum posts
990 photos

The great grandson visits on quite a few occasions well three times a week while his mum works. He love to sit at the back of my work bench and play at woodwork but lately wants to nick my tools. So I have made him a hammer and the other thing is a glue bottle which started life as a train whistle project that I never completed.

I took the opportunity to video him in the workshop all I can do while he is there is make a small negative mould box for casting my own pen blanks.

Steven16/12/2015 18:49:10
143 forum posts
11 photos
367 articles

Derek, what a lovely video, two generations in the workshop together, I hope your Grandson keeps his enthusiasm, you have the patience to make a great teacher.

Steve

Derek Lane17/12/2015 15:57:48
3204 forum posts
990 photos

He comes in and picks up his bag of tools and says "Shed grandad"

Made a couple more today starting to get a nice tool kit together now.

dscf5875-001.jpg

Ryan Davenport AWGB Membership Secretary08/03/2016 15:55:10
40 forum posts
14 photos

Brilliant it's really nice to see this, My four children ( 2 girl's and 2 boy's) often come into my workshop and get involved, it's the younger generation that we need to inspire to the craft which is quite a difficult challenge these days.

My eldest daughter has severe learning difficulties but she does love her time in the workshop as much as my other children, she is currently making 50 bookmarks to sell for her local school fund (Ashmount appeal).

One thing that my children really like is to make pens, it is also a pleasure for me to watch them doing it now with little assistance.

I have had many ideas from absolutelyfreeplans.com for them to do. One thing the my daughters enjoy is making bangles for their friends, good to keep them out of trouble during holidays too wink 2

Derek Lane08/03/2016 16:05:03
3204 forum posts
990 photos

I expected that he would play with them for a week and then forget them, but no he still plays with them along with the plastic ones he has. He even has a bag just for his tools.

Today i went and did some cutting of bowl blanks and he sat on the floor near me with his tools as well as wanting to carry the smaller pieces of wood for me to cut.

Ryan Davenport AWGB Membership Secretary08/03/2016 16:10:15
40 forum posts
14 photos

Isn't it great to see, I found that a good saw to start them with was one of the Japanese pull saws as they are fairly easy to use resistance wise (supervised of course).

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
D B Keighley
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
Tool Post
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact