By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

craft fairs

first craft fair

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
gerald meager17/11/2015 23:12:49
85 forum posts
2 photos

I did my first ever british craft fair this weekend and took just under 50 quid for just under 4 hours selling. It seems that most people only come out with about 5-10 pounds to these small vilage craft events What i was suprised about was the amount of stall holders who bought their stocks in and didn´t actually make much at all I think such people should be excluded otherwise these events just become markets or carboots.would like to have sold more but who can second guese the general public

Derek Lane18/11/2015 12:20:47
3215 forum posts
1002 photos

Hope you covered your costs, if like me I only do it to pay for my hobby. Sometimes the little ones can surprise you with a great days selling.

I know what you mean they call them craft fairs but as you say many buy all their stock. I had the chance of doing a small one down the road but they advertised as craft and boot fair stalls in a hall. Glad I did not go as it was all carboot and people want everything for nothing.

Malcolm Alexander 121/11/2015 16:03:49
57 forum posts
37 photos

Gerald, what did you have on your stall and which were the best sellers?

Any photos you could post would be good, but where was the draft show?

Malcolm.

Amos Starkadder23/11/2015 08:09:01
25 forum posts
1 photos

I sympathise, I've only done a couple of shows myself (Beacon Hill in the rain and a local show) and had very poor sales. Mass-produced boxes at shows are a case in point. I've seen them on sale for as little as £1 and some painted "chests" for £3. Even at antique shows some nice ones are dreadfully undervalued, I buy some for the quadrant hinges which are worth more than the asking price of the box. If you've spent a few days making a nice box from expensive timber (eg bog oak) and spent decent money on good quality hardware it's almost impossible to sell the craftsmanship no matter what you do to make your work stand out from the crowd.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Transwave 2017
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact