By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Bandsaw Motor

Shop around

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
gerald meager12/11/2015 10:05:30
85 forum posts
2 photos

As I've been a keen woodturner for many years. Back in2003 I treated myself to a very large Startrite 351E bandsaw Which has given me many years good service without problems However a few weeks ago it started to play up and wouldn't start after asking around several fellow woodworkers most thought it likely to be the capacitor so I contact the company who now sell Startrite spares and talked to their engineer who after giving him all the signs and symtoms of the problem advised me to find a Motor rewinding company Which I did in Yeovil Somerset they took the motor and all its componants to pieces and informed me that I needed a new capacitor the motor needed rewinding and I needed a new circuit board this little lot was going to cost me best part of 400 notes or a new bandsaw which would probably be 2.5K as I'm a disabled pensioner I did a bit of shopping around on line and found a company out in the sticks who sold me a better motor with up to date switching gear THEY CHECKED all the motor details to ensure it was the correct power etc and checked the Flange to make sure the new motor fitted without a hitch Which it did and all for just 100 quid +vat I now have a sweet running bandsaw. What a saving and a most customer friendly people I've dealt with thoughout this saga I have no connection to the new motor supplier but would be more than happy to give his details to anybody with a similar problem. He sells on line and is very carefull to make sure you get the right replacement. I hope this helps

. someone else out good word of mouth is worth a fortune.

Derek Lane12/11/2015 11:52:50
3203 forum posts
990 photos

Sound like a great result glad it is all sorted and for a cheaper price than first quoted

Julian13/11/2015 12:00:03
543 forum posts
28 photos

Hi Ged -- I have the 352 model which has a similar motor, it must be 40 years old now if it's a day but a brillient workhorse. My motor has a thermal cutout built in so after a long run of realy heavy work (generally converting logs to useable blanks for turning) it will just click and cut out. I then have to leave it for 20 minutes before I can use it again. As you have found out the cost of motors has come down drastically over the years and it is a lot cheaper to replace than repair as it is with most technology these days. -- Julian

PaUL McLoughlin 108/02/2019 17:22:43
1 forum posts

Hi Gerald

I have a Startrite 351 and having checked the capacitors it seems I need to either have the compton motor repaired or replaced. I am very interestede in your contact who replaced the motor. could you let me have the contact details and wether the motor has run well sincew you fit it.

Much appreciated

Paul

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact