By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

More under stairs work

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mailee04/11/2015 18:47:57
1048 forum posts
1235 photos

I started this job on Monday. It is another set of pull out under stairs cupboards. I took a template of the stairs last week which you can see in the background. I then made the face frame up allowing for some trimming when on site. With these being such large units I am making frames to accommodate them. they will be in pine with raised panel doors. Two of the cupboards will slide out and two will be hinged opening. The smallest will be hinged to allow access under a return in the staircase. These will be stained to match the stair case when complete.
I already have the door frames machined up ready for assembly but still have the panels to raise.
dscn4032.jpg

Duffield Timber05/11/2015 09:47:32
6 forum posts
11 photos

Hi Mailee, Job looks impressive, keep doing. Nice a project. Have a nice day.

Mailee05/11/2015 19:07:15
1048 forum posts
1235 photos

Thanks Duffield, I got on with the doors today. After assembling them all I realised I had made a mistake!
dscn4034.jpg
Both the smaller doors were too tall! I could have kicked myself when I realised what I had done. I had to take them both apart again and trim them down. Ended up making a new bottom rail for them.
dscn4035.jpg
I left these in glue up while i started working on the slides. By the end of the day I had them in place.
dscn4036.jpg

Steven06/11/2015 12:23:14
143 forum posts
11 photos
367 articles

I like your honesty Mailee, luckily the doors were too tall rather than too short eh!

Mailee06/11/2015 19:34:56
1048 forum posts
1235 photos

Yes Steven, I consider myself lucky there. Normally when I build doors I leave 'horns' on the stiles and cut them down later, I did this on those two doors but forgot about it in my haste so made the panel up to the full length of the stiles. Doh! Been busy today after my mishap with the doors, they turned out ok.

dscn4039.jpg
I started work on the cabinets and got the frames and back panels made.
dscn4037.jpg
I got the bases cut out and a couple of the shelves.
dscn4038.jpg
Should get these done on Monday with a bit of luck.

Mailee09/11/2015 19:18:04
1048 forum posts
1235 photos

I got started on assembling the pull outs today. I shall fit the back panels once they are sprayed.
dscn4041.jpg

Duffield Timber12/11/2015 08:38:03
6 forum posts
11 photos

Hi Mailee, good progress. There will be no more mistake, do not worry.

Mailee07/12/2015 20:24:56
1048 forum posts
1235 photos

Well at long last I got these fitted today! My customer works so I had to fit around her shifts. It took my assistant and I all day to fit them but I think they went in well in the end. Customer was very happy with them and that's what matters.
dscn4042.jpg
I made some generic handles for them as she hasn't made her mind up what she want's.
Of course she wanted to try it out for size. dscn4043.jpgThe last door had to be on hinges to allow access around the corner.
dscn4045.jpg
I was happy with the colour match which wasn't too bad. (Looks lighter on the photo) I can now get my workshop back.

Mailee07/12/2015 20:24:57
1048 forum posts
1235 photos

Well at long last I got these fitted today! My customer works so I had to fit around her shifts. It took my assistant and I all day to fit them but I think they went in well in the end. Customer was very happy with them and that's what matters.
dscn4042.jpg
I made some generic handles for them as she hasn't made her mind up what she want's.
Of course she wanted to try it out for size. dscn4043.jpgThe last door had to be on hinges to allow access around the corner.
dscn4045.jpg
I was happy with the colour match which wasn't too bad. (Looks lighter on the photo) I can now get my workshop back.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Transwave 2017
Tool Post
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact