By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Workbench

Has anyone got a design that I could access?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Clive Rex29/10/2015 09:57:01
2 forum posts

Having recently retired, I've taken up one or two new interests (so that I don't play golf every day!) and one of these is woodwork.

I began an adult education course in September to acquire the basic skills and I've set my first project to be constructing my own workbench.

Does anyone therefore have a design that I could have (free or for sale)?

Derek Lane29/10/2015 20:19:24
3218 forum posts
1004 photos

I don't have any design Ideas or plans but I understand there is a good woodworking book that is about workbenches, if I find the name I will post it here unless someone else knows of it

Brian Barber29/10/2015 23:54:32
160 forum posts
244 photos

Hi Clive,

It's a wonderful hobby this woodwork and you need a decent bench. I decided to build a new workbench a while ago to replace my ancient and tatty one. I don't have plans since I build everything I make from scratch but you can see my build technique in my album " New Workbench" . It may give you some ideas. The basic design is very simple and I added two vices to suit my own requirements. The main aspect is that it needs to be very strong and heavy so it will not budge in use. I used beech for most of the construction.

steve h05/11/2015 13:44:39
403 forum posts
128 photos

Hi Clive - I made an Holtzapffel work bench and there are some images in my photos, I have since made a cupboard and end vices - great bench and will out last me! I did a lot of research before I opted for this bench, but found **LINK** very helpful -

Hope this helps

Steve

steve h05/11/2015 13:52:06
403 forum posts
128 photos

Hi Clive - I made an Holtzapffel work bench and there are some images in my photos, I have since made a cupboard and end vices - great bench and will out last me! I did a lot of research before I opted for this bench, but found **LINK** very helpful -

Hope this helps

Steve

Edited By steve h on 05/11/2015 13:57:07

Clive Rex05/11/2015 14:36:23
2 forum posts

Derek,Brian and Steve

Thank you for your replies; I think the one you recommend Steve looks to be the one for me.

Look out for my progress over the coming weeks as I move from 'new boy' in my woodwork class, to the constructor of the year, ha ha.

I'm going to scale the free design info from the link Steve, put my cutting list together and head for my local timber merchant.

I've told my wife that I'll be building a conservatory at the rear of the house next year!

kind regards

Clive

Julian13/11/2015 11:42:15
552 forum posts
28 photos

Hi Clive - Good to hear that you are going to build your own workbench. There a multitude of designs out there on the interweb to choose from but why not take a look at Paul Sellers You-Tube Page where there is a whole series of excelent tutorials on making his bench (very similar to the Roubo Bench). This one is on my todo list for the winter.

Best Regards -- Julian

gerald meager17/11/2015 23:24:52
85 forum posts
2 photos

HiClive i was told at school many years ago40+ that I would never make a wood worker as long as my rear pointed downward I now sell my wood turnings make furniture to comisión had work publishe in a magaine You can get a goot set of plans for a good solid bench that you can biuld in a weekend from shop bought lumber from shopsmith .com any problms message me and i´ll seewhat I can do this benc all bolts together no difficult joints at all

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Tormek
Tool Post
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact