By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Oak Dinning Room Table top how to join together

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David Nevin12/10/2015 15:40:26
57 forum posts
26 photos

I am doing an oak dinning room table for my daughter Rustic was the words she used,

I have 5 planks of seasoned oak 1850 x 210 x 35 mm I have to joint these together question is what is the best way

I have considered using biscuits double down the length or using a stretcher under neath the top to join all 5 planks together after just using glue

What advise can you give me as i have not done this size of top before

Many thanks for any help

Regards

David N

Julian15/10/2015 10:40:29
552 forum posts
28 photos

Hi David -- I am no cabinet maker however modern glues these days should be able to hold the joint of the table top together for a lifetime without any reinforcement. You say the planks are 35mm thick, there should be enough surface area here for a really good strong rub joint so long as the planks are jointed properly. You would only use the biscuits to help align the planks and stop them moving while the glue cures. It must be said though that the table top be aloud to move accross the grain when fixed to the base so use blocks or slotted screwholes otherwise it will split over time. Hope this helps and don't forget to post a picture of the finioshed article. Julian

Steven15/10/2015 19:03:54
143 forum posts
11 photos
367 articles

Hi David,

To add to Julian’s advice I usually try to alternate the direction of the growth rings of each board if I can (matching the colour and the figure might be more important) this allows for any cupping to be balanced out, take a look at the end grain to do this.

David Nevin16/10/2015 11:36:58
57 forum posts
26 photos

Many thanks for your advice I am at present planning down the last plank from rough sawn oak

This will take some time as boy is it heavy.. Will look at gluing together some time in December as I will be

Away in Australia till then leaving the family at home

Will post pictures as I progress

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact