By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Coloured Sycamore Bowl

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mark Sutton17/09/2015 19:05:45
193 forum posts
59 photos

Hi

It has been a significant length of time since i posted anything so here goes!!

I took delivery of a Airbrushing kit some weeks ago and decided to have a go and created this, of course inspired by Nick Agar. I used Molotow Aqua Inks, which are much friendly to use than stains and are food colourant based, which can be used in pens, plus other such as Airbrushing. C&C Welcome and thank you for looking.

Airbrushed Sycamore Bowl

Derek Lane17/09/2015 19:28:49
3204 forum posts
990 photos

Welcome back Mark. That is one lovely bowl.

Did you use the Sorby Texturing tool or something similar. I have been looking at getting a compressor so that I can use my air brushes as it can work out expensive keep buying the cans which I have been using up till now.

I watched Nick Agar's videos and keep meaning to have a go. Did you leave the outside natural wood or colour that as well

Mark Sutton18/09/2015 09:03:15
193 forum posts
59 photos

Hi Derek, thank you for the Welcome and comment.

All the Texturing was carried out using the Sorby Texturing Tools, including the micro.

I have only just really started with Airbrushing, and this was my second attempt, i had heard that using Cans could be expensive, thats why i went with the compressor, and made sure it had a tank to hold the pressure.

The Complete piece was covered in Inks, after texturing was completed.

Regards

Mark

Steven18/09/2015 21:41:36
143 forum posts
11 photos
367 articles

You’ve done yourself proud Mark, that’s a fine looking bowl and thanks for the tip on the aqua inks.

Steve

Mark Sutton19/09/2015 06:52:29
193 forum posts
59 photos

Many thanks for your kind comment Steve

Mark

Julian21/09/2015 14:26:11
545 forum posts
28 photos

Hi Mark - Good to see you posting again and nice piece of work. I saw Nick making this bowl over at Burnham on Sea woodturners earlier in the year, it's from his Viking series. You may be interested in a product that Simon Hope uses for his spray paints (or some of them at least). It's a product called Preval Sprayer, they have a website and plenty of U-Tube videos but worth looking at if you don't want to go down the road of a compressor. -- Julian

Mark Sutton21/09/2015 18:54:28
193 forum posts
59 photos

Hi Julian

Many thanks for your kind comment. I had never heard of the Preval System, must have a look, and thanks for the info.

Mark

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Chippendale
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Tormek
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact