More playing on the lathe

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Gerrybhoy24/08/2015 18:55:59
104 forum posts
55 photos

Who told me pen turning was addictive?

You were right!!!! teeth 2

1 Bullet twist pen, with an HDPE casing, 1 slimline pen completely in HDPE & 1 slimline pen in Cedar of Lebanon.

Been playing around with HDPE a lot recently and have loads of pen blanks sized up and ready to use, so expect to see many more.

The cedar of Lebanon was great to turn. Cuts as easily as a softwood, and has a nice aroma - I'm sure I got a hint of lemon through it, or maybe that's just SWMBO's candles!!!!

As always, comments & critique very welcome (although I know I still need to sort out the finishing).

3 pens3 pens 2

Derek Lane24/08/2015 19:36:39
3204 forum posts
990 photos

Not tried HDPE as I have been playing with casting my own from Polyester. I like the shape of the first two but the Cedar one is just a little on the fat side for my personal taste. I know that some people like thicker pens.

Gerrybhoy24/08/2015 19:48:34
104 forum posts
55 photos

Poly casting is something I'm thinking of trying next.

HDPE can be a bit of a pain, purely due to the temperature to melt it & the time it takes to get a bubble-free block. Other then that it's really good to turn.

The Cedar one is a little fatter than I'd usually make, was just curious about how it'd feel to use with a bit more meat on it. Turns out it's not too bad at all

Derek Lane24/08/2015 21:24:11
3204 forum posts
990 photos

THIS was the last casting that I turned still have three more to turn from the last batch see below the pen came from the block

dscf5261.jpg

dscf5298-001.jpg

Gerrybhoy24/08/2015 21:43:18
104 forum posts
55 photos

Definitely gives a better look than mine. lol

Steve J W06/09/2015 12:34:03
137 forum posts
9 photos

i have thought about getting a pen kit i like the idea of collecting knarled bits of wood to make my own blanks,

Gerrybhoy06/09/2015 12:44:08
104 forum posts
55 photos

It's definitely a great way to use up any off-cuts that would otherwise not have any real use Steve.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Tool Post
D B Keighley
Tormek
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact