By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Finally back on the lathe

Just a bit of practice

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Gerrybhoy23/08/2015 18:46:25
104 forum posts
55 photos

After too long a lay-off (surgery, broken wrist & torn hand tendons!!), I finally got on the lathe over the past few days.

Definitely need more practice as I'm having to hold the chisels slightly different from before, so I'm still getting used to this.

Made 3 pieces and the finish on them all is cr*p, but once I'm used to my slight adjustment this should sort itself out.

A small lidded box from Apple, a small bowl from Spalted Beech & a 10" inch plate/platter from an as yet unknown wood (if anyone can ID it I'd be grateful).

Small Apple lidded boxSmall Apple lidded boxSmall Apple lidded boxSmall Spalted Beech bowlSmall Spalted Beech bowl10 plate/platter10 plate/platter

Derek Lane24/08/2015 12:14:48
3204 forum posts
990 photos

Welcome back Gerry. I am sure that you will find the best way to get around different problems an d sort out the finishes. Just stick with it and it is good to see you posting again.

Gerrybhoy24/08/2015 18:47:33
104 forum posts
55 photos

Thanks Derek, it's good to be back.

Hopefully won't take me too long to get used to things. Just feels a little awkward as the torn tendons slightly changed the way I'm holding things with my right hand.

gerald meager31/08/2015 23:24:24
85 forum posts
2 photos

Good luck Gerry I had a major stroke 10 years ago and I'm sure all my woodturning has helped me get more use out of my left hand which was totally paralised unfortunately the stroked severely effected my design skills as so much o my brain was damaged Not that there was a lot of it to start with just keep on turning and be patient it does get better but it does take time good luck. Ged Meager

Gerrybhoy02/09/2015 18:03:54
104 forum posts
55 photos

Thanks Ged.

Thankfully I've had to learn to be very patient, so however long it takes I'll just keep at it. It'll happen for me, but it's definitely not an overnight thing.

Gerry

Steve J W06/09/2015 12:32:47
137 forum posts
9 photos

nice to see you Posting and getting back into it, i pop on here from time to time but work this yr has taken over so the lathe is gathering dust, also i have been on the look out for someone local that gives tuition for later in the year when i might get a bit more time. steve

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Tool Post
D B Keighley
Tormek
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact