By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Hot Shed

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Derek Lane03/07/2015 19:44:57
3219 forum posts
1004 photos

Do many of you find that when we get a hot spell that it becomes unbearable to work in the shed or workshop. What steps do you take to keep it comfortable to work in there.

I am OK in the morning as there is a large tree that casts a shadow across the shed but by about 2pm the sun hits it and I have to abandon the shed.

Alan Morris 407/07/2015 11:12:46
10 forum posts

HI. I don't have such problems at all perhaps because I have completely good ventilation system or I feel normal whether it's too hot or too cold. But I would like to hear other opinions too.

Raymond Sanderson08/07/2015 00:55:06
48 forum posts
71 photos

RRF just as much as ATM I find a bloody cold shed is keeping me in doors Derek.

Hot shed in the UK yeh right what temps that 18C LOL come summer as my garage shed door faces west from 2pm I have to be wise to rising temps past 35C.

In winter shade of two palms and two trees cast shadow bringing the temp down rapidly by 2.30pm.

Mate has a little tin shed which has Opaque Laser Light roofing in mid winter its like 20C in his shed and he can work almost all day. Come summer he needs a fan on.

Ryan Davenport AWGB Membership Secretary22/07/2015 14:40:14
40 forum posts
14 photos

I know the feeling, especially when all the dust sticks to our sweat angry 2

I got fed up with it when we had the hot spell about 6-8weeks ago now so I went searching on gumtree and found a 12K BTU Air Conditioning unit for £40, it was the best thing I've ever brought in regards to the working climate, I do use a Trend Airshield Pro when turning though and I find that the cool air blowing down over the face helps too, I had a semi-enclosed mask before and it drove me mad getting sweaty and misting up, If you don't have one I would highly recommend getting one, they are well worth their money and the health benefits are a must in my eyes, especially when turning exotic woods that are really toxic (inc Yew and other none exotics).

KR

Derek Lane22/07/2015 16:53:52
3219 forum posts
1004 photos

Sounds like £40 well spent, I think I would need a larger shed to have one in there

Steven22/07/2015 22:07:25
143 forum posts
11 photos
367 articles

Here’s the no cost solution Derek. Just imagine that you are somewhere really hot and do what the locals would do. Start pretty early, 6am would be early enough, work until lunchtime remembering to have a cup of tea or two in between, take a leisurely lunch followed by a nap (siesta) and get back into the shed about 4ish for a few hours. You’ve done a full day.

Ryan, it sounds a though you have a good set up coming together, it’s good to hear. I haven’t tried the Airshield pro, the reviews are excellent, must put one on my wish list. Your right as woodworkers we need to protect ourselves from all wood dust and take care of our health.

Steve

Derek Lane22/07/2015 22:57:37
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
Posted by Steven on 22/07/2015 22:07:25:

Here’s the no cost solution Derek. Just imagine that you are somewhere really hot and do what the locals would do. Start pretty early, 6am would be early enough, work until lunchtime remembering to have a cup of tea or two in between, take a leisurely lunch followed by a nap (siesta) and get back into the shed about 4ish for a few hours. You’ve done a full day.

Ryan, it sounds a though you have a good set up coming together, it’s good to hear. I haven’t tried the Airshield pro, the reviews are excellent, must put one on my wish list. Your right as woodworkers we need to protect ourselves from all wood dust and take care of our health.

Steve

What do you mean Steven that is exactly what I am doingdevillaughlaughlaugh

Steven22/07/2015 23:14:01
143 forum posts
11 photos
367 articles

You have it all worked out then Derek, I do much the same but forget the important bit, a leisurely lunch followed by a nap!! Oh and I'm not so good at an early start!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Marriott & Co
Craft Supplies
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Transwave 2017
Robert Sorby
Wood Workers Workshop
Tormek
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact