By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

John Boddy Timber

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Brian Barber18/06/2015 15:39:27
160 forum posts
244 photos

Does anyone know what happened to John Boddy timber merchant in Boroughbridge N Yorks. Went there today and they were all shut up. Have they moved or out of existence. Also do you know of any other good hardwood merchants in the area.

Thanks

Brian

Steven18/06/2015 19:05:33
143 forum posts
11 photos
367 articles

Hi Brian

I did hear of a move mentioned some time ago, so checked their website earlier today and found some details, it all seemed a bit vague but now the website seems to have been taken down. Have you tried giving them a call, if they are still around and lets hope they are! They probably kept the telephone number.

Steve

Big Al19/06/2015 05:29:22
1596 forum posts
73 photos

just had a look and they have moved. click here for more info

Al

Brian Barber19/06/2015 08:44:46
160 forum posts
244 photos

Thanks Al

It's nice to know they are still in operation, difficult to find good hardwoods in these parts.

Brian

Brian Barber23/07/2015 19:28:15
160 forum posts
244 photos

Having problems getting in touch with John Boddy timber. According to their website they have moved and their telephone numbers have remained unchanged. However, when I try to ring them the telephone number is not recognised.

Anyone got any information as to what is going on, have they gone out of business.

Derek Lane23/07/2015 22:12:17
3215 forum posts
1002 photos

I found this on another site.

"Merchant/sawmiller Associated Timber Services has bought importer/merchant John Boddy Timber, with plans to set it up on a new site with new equipment and to cross-fertilise the product ranges of the two companies."

Steven24/07/2015 10:29:13
143 forum posts
11 photos
367 articles

Well It's bad news I'm afraid. It seems that Associated Timber Services went into liquidation soon after acquiring John Boddy who were also in trouble.

Here's a LINK to the news report.

Brian Barber24/07/2015 19:07:53
160 forum posts
244 photos

Thanks Steven,

Sad news indeed, I used John Boddy a lot to source a variety of good hardwoods. They stocked planed boards of many different hardwoods. I am at a bit of a loss now as to where to go to get some decent wood at reasonable cost. Any ideas would be welcome.

Brian

Steven24/07/2015 20:39:37
143 forum posts
11 photos
367 articles

Not sure of a supplier to match Boddys Brian. I tend to use what I have in stock or whatever I can lay my hands on lately.

Also I’m on the South coast, so not sure what’s available in your area, I use two suppliers mainly.

Timberline in Tonbridge, Sussex are very good, with a good supply of hardwoods, sawn and planed, they are very helpful and knowledgeable but used to specialize mainly in blanks for turning along with associated tools and tooling. I think they have moved on lot so worth checking out.

W L West in Petworth, Sussex are great for locally sourced timber in particular but can supply exotic hardwoods, blanks etc. A friendly and helpful family business of long standing, est 1865.

I’m sure there are many more but most importantly they all need supporting.

Steven

Nora Kasanicka31/07/2015 13:57:09
1 forum posts

Hello Guys,

sorry to hear John Boddy's gone bust! I don't know that there is anyone of similar size but there is smaller guys around. I am part of Blackbark Woodland Management and we try and saw anything that is worth sawing from woodland here in Yorkshire - which is not much i'm afraid and lot of it is "characterful" so only suitable if this is what you are actually looking for. We are forever looking for estates or forest managers, or buyers who are willing to sell local or regional timber to us - isn't easy finding them! We are only small and our milling operation only young but we do have small stock of air dried beech, sycamore and little oak. We are building up our stock all the time so i'm hoping in few years time more will be on offer and kiln dried will become available too. You can find us on www.blackbark.co.uk. If you are after larger orders maybe try D.F.Timber in Cumbria. Just search their name it will pop up.

Nora

M J Dickson01/08/2015 11:00:53
17 forum posts
11 photos

Hello to you all;

I am very sad to hear about John Boddy Timber, I was going to buy from them shortly. You would expect a bankrupt sale to come along, please let us know on this forum as soon as anyone knows!

Regards Michael

Edited By M.J. Dickson on 01/08/2015 11:07:14

Glep14/08/2015 09:00:40
1 forum posts

There is another sawmill very close to where John Boddy's used to be located - it's Duffield's near Ripon. (http://www.duffieldtimber.com/contact/) I purchased a batch of oak from them and they were very friendly to deal with. The only drawback is that they are really more geared to commercial buyers so don't do small amounts of pse lumber. But if you have the ability to dimension sawn boards then they offer a good service and competitive prices.

For planed hardwoods try http://www.britishhardwoods.co.uk/timber/planed-timber.html, but if you are to the east of Leeds getting there can take a while!

I use a small joinery operation in York to get most of the timber I use, if you approach shops like that they will often be happy to supply you and are more helpful once they get to know you.

Duffield Timber15/10/2015 14:26:37
6 forum posts
11 photos

Hello everybody. Yes it is sad what has happened to John Boddy Timber. A few people have joined us. We invite all ex John Boddy Timber's Customers and new also, to visit our Showroom / Shop. We hope you will find everything what do you need. Regards Duffield Timber

Edited By Steven on 15/10/2015 15:30:40

Amos Starkadder31/10/2015 11:44:34
25 forum posts
1 photos

In Leicestershire (Notts border) you could try Rowan Woodland Products in Swannington, Coalville. Mick Waldram turns up at the Beacon Hill Show and slices up logs, this time around I got a nice piece of yew. They take planed timber to the same event, talk to him about sawn wet timber if you want better prices. No website (except a mention on the National Forest website) but his card has his email address as mick@rowanwood.demon.co.uk which I guess is safe to bung online as he was handing them out freely at the show.

Lincolnshire: http://www.lincolnshirewoodcraft.co.uk/

Edited By Amos Starkadder on 31/10/2015 11:46:03

mr t05/11/2015 12:09:36
5 forum posts

I have used Duffields for some time, partly because Boddys had been going down hill for some time. I can highly recommend Duffields for quality. Some of theirr yard men are quite friendly too.

Chris

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Transwave 2017
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Tormek
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact