By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

WorldSkills

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andrea Hargreaves17/06/2015 20:50:58
5 forum posts
26 articles

Cynical old me wasn't too surprised to learn when I saw the finals of the furniture making and joinery competitions to select the UK Squad for WorldSkills that the markers are unpaid. My view is that these highly skilled professional people, using knowledge that has accrued over a lifetime of woodworking, should receive payment for what is a professional job. I bet the competitions in the Far East are not subsidised by good-hearted people who are passionate enough about their craft to spend a week working for nothing but the good of enhancing woodworking. Thanks to trainers like Christian Notley our young makers are proving themselves at the bench. Let's go all out to encourage the powers that be to throw everything necessary at this competition in order not only to keep the UK at the top but to act as a benchmark to which all young makers may aspire.

Andrea

Steven21/06/2015 18:35:29
143 forum posts
11 photos
367 articles

I agree Andrea that highly skilled professional people are often not recognised: non-paid or paid a pittance for their willingness to offer their time and expertise to encourage the training of the crafts, however it can be hugely satisfying to be involved in training or education, perhaps for the markers in competitions that is also part of the reward. It’s not enough I know and yes they should be paid.

Well I’m definitely up for doing something about it, but not quite sure where to start, any ideas?

Alan Morris 407/07/2015 11:41:31
10 forum posts

Completely agree with you! Recently I thought about it too. In my opinion there is lack of attention and people usually percept this field of job as demonstrative activity and no more.. You're right Steven, need to connect all force and propose fresh ideas. What can we do?

Big Al12/07/2015 16:35:54
1602 forum posts
73 photos

I also agree with the above comments. What I have never been able to understand is that virtually all of the other manual skilled trades, such as plumbers, electricians, plasterers etc., do not have this problem.

Also to excel in woodworking you need a passion and desire to achieve an end goal, and it takes many years of learning and nurturing ones skills.

Its not something that will change as most people tend to buy cheap furniture that is usually poorly made from major retail outlets that advertise heavily, as this is all that is available to them.

Al

Andrea Hargreaves14/07/2015 08:47:22
5 forum posts
26 articles

Steve, one thing occurs to me and it's a big ask. Based on the premise that non woodie folk don't really think much about bespoke furniture, how about makers taking a stand at one of the Open Houses that display and sell other crafts, perhaps decorating the stand with a portfolio of their work and demonstrating how to cut a joint, say. Just an idea, but as always success in business is down to marketing excellent quality and making people desire the product.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Craft Supplies
Transwave 2017
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Marriott & Co
Felder UK April 2016
Robert Sorby
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact