By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Stanley No 7 C corrugated bottom jointer plane

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
grey ghost18/04/2015 08:32:38
1 forum posts

As newbie to woodworking I'm looking for a plane to square some large pieces of hardwood I've manage to get hold of. Having read some of your advice I've check eBay for used planes and come across a Stanley No 7 corrugated bottom plane.

Question is should I consider this plane or looking for something else?

Big Al18/04/2015 17:19:31
1598 forum posts
73 photos

I once owned one of these but found it too big and awkward for me. I use a no 5 1/2 lie Nielsen and find it does virtually every thing that I need it to.

Al

Julian19/04/2015 11:06:38
552 forum posts
28 photos

I found the No7 a bit big for me also, I think you need to be big and strong to use one. As Al says a No5 will do the job ok but it will need to be super sharp. Go onto YouTube and search for Paul Sellers his is probably one of the best videos I have come across if you want to use traditional tools, he is a true time served craftsman.

Ron Davis20/04/2015 20:12:22
1614 forum posts
201 photos

What's up with you young'uns? I got a no7 from a car boot sale for£9. cleaned it up and was going to sell it on eBay, turns out it is about 100 years old and planes beautifully. I think it is the weight of the plane which makes it work so well.

Ron

Ryan Davenport AWGB Membership Secretary21/04/2015 11:16:43
40 forum posts
14 photos

You can't beat the "old" planes they were simply made to last unlike the current "throw away" world we now live in, look after you're tools and they'll look after you. Lie Nielsen are amazing though if you can afford them they'll outlast you and you're grandchildren if looked after

Julian21/04/2015 14:42:42
552 forum posts
28 photos

Ehh Up Ron - Young Uns ??? OK you're probably older than me. I don't have a No7 but have used one once and although it planed smoothly enough (it was razor sharp) I did find it a bit heavy to control. I wish I could find one in a car boot sale for £9, I haven't seen one in any of the sales round here ever ! - Julian

Ron Davis21/04/2015 20:36:06
1614 forum posts
201 photos

There was only the one!

Ron

PS I put some pix in my album when I got it

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
Tool Post
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact