By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Yew Vase

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Carl Longden22/03/2015 11:41:12
60 forum posts
84 photos

Had a go at working with some Yew for the first time and have to say really like the natural beauty of this wood

dsc_0612.jpg

dsc_0611.jpg

dsc_0610.jpg

dsc_0609.jpg

sad sam23/03/2015 17:49:59
586 forum posts
226 photos

hi carl nice work but beware of the hazards of yew i suffered breathing problems ie shortage of breath

migraine and a rash of very large and painful boils because i was ignorant of the poisonous virtues of the wood

please use adequate breathing protection and clean up after your work still with your protection on dont let it build up

i now have a trend power shield which i wear all the time whilst turning and cleaning up

the thing about yew is you dont realise that it is a problem when you start to suffer it takes ages to happen so you may not have used it for quite a while

however i still cannot resist using it from time to time

Carl Longden25/03/2015 09:08:20
60 forum posts
84 photos

Thanks so much for the safety advice Sam, I know its poisonous and will ensure I wear my mask when working with it.

Derek Lane25/03/2015 18:35:45
3204 forum posts
990 photos

Nice looking form Carl, the only thing I am not sure about is the foot but that is just a personal thing

Carl Longden25/03/2015 19:51:13
60 forum posts
84 photos

I'd like to have brought it in more at the bottom, but I don't really have a suitable/safe way to hold the piece on the lathe when doing the foot, hoping to save up for a better chuck with a decent jaw set, unless there are other ways, I'm open to suggestions

Steve J W26/03/2015 19:34:56
137 forum posts
9 photos

lovely finish

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Transwave 2017
Tormek
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact