By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Bandsaw was cutting great, but now jams all the time.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Dave Smith 1306/03/2015 12:17:41
4 forum posts

Hi all,

I recently bought a second-hand bandsaw. I bought a sheet of plywood from a large retailer in the uk. Got it home and started to cut and found that there was the remnants of a 9 inch nail buried in it - the saw dragged the nail into the works and snapped the blade.

I bought a replacement blade and it was cutting beautifully and on very tight curves through 2 inch pine. I went to use the saw the next day and now it struggles to cut even in a straight line - unless I move the wood extremely slowly the blade jams.

Have I done something wrong?

Derek Lane06/03/2015 14:44:47
3218 forum posts
1004 photos

The first question is what size is the blade and the next is what type of a radius or diameter are you trying to cut. The two are related in as much that a wide blade will struggle with tight radius

Dave Smith 1306/03/2015 14:47:15
4 forum posts

It's 6mm - to start with it was cutting around a radius of 3-4 inches with no problem. The next day it struggles with straight lines.

Ron Davis06/03/2015 19:12:32
1614 forum posts
201 photos

You say that you were cutting 2"pine, I suspect that you have a build up of resin which will slow down and possibly jam the blade.

Have you checked the guides, tight curves will put pressure on these and could move them.

And lastly where did you get the new blade, they are not all the same, I have used Hamilton Beaverstock in the past, good blades but cannot order on line, but now along with a lot of other woodies I buy from Tuffsaws, get the middle range blades and they will last up to 50% longer and cut better.

And lastly + 1, Tuffsaws will advise you on the correct blade for the wood you are cutting.

Good luck

Ron

Dave Smith 1307/03/2015 09:38:23
4 forum posts

Thank you for the reply.

I'll check for build up of resin and will check the guides.

Derek Lane07/03/2015 18:08:30
3218 forum posts
1004 photos

Sorry for not getting back earlier as I have been to the Southeast Woodworking Show.

+1 for checking for resin the other thing is poor quality blades and again like Ron I use Tuffsaws for my blades it is worth giving him a ring first to talk about your needs he is very helpful. You may need to ring a couple of times as he does not always hear the phone.

Dave Smith 1308/03/2015 14:35:27
4 forum posts

Hi. I checked and can't see a build up of resin, and the guides seem to be ok.

The blade is a Starrett 6mm Powerband M42 (?)

phillip meyers13/03/2015 09:29:39
4 forum posts

Hello Dave

I do not usually do forums but could not help answering your problem as the answer is simple. If you have been cutting lots of tight circles you will have taken the edge/set of one side of the blade. A blade, band saw or circular will always want to cut to the sharp side. That is why you are struggling to cut straight. Change the blade and if you like keep that blade for circles for a bit longer.

Do you really need m42 ? a good carbon blade would be more cost effective for you.

what machine is it being used on?

Ryan Davenport AWGB Membership Secretary21/04/2015 11:12:36
40 forum posts
14 photos

Yes always try to use both sides of the blade, Charnwood use starrett blades as standard now, that are good blades but not as good as Ian's blades at tuffsaws, his vari tooth blades are really good.

It is worth having a larger blade to change to when cutting straight and for thick stock, also make sure your guides and rear blade bearings are set correctly as this will make a massive difference too.

Feel free to contact me for further information

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact