By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

putting a light on a router

I want to install a light on my routers

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
John Blackie23/02/2015 22:33:46
40 forum posts
2 photos

I have two routers. I have difficulty following the lines I put on the wood because the lighting I use casts a shadow where the cutter is cutting or shines in my eyes.

What I need is three leds set on the points of a triangle to shine down from just outside the spindle bearing housing down onto the work.

Does anyone know where to find such a thing or how to make one, or know of a different solution?

John

John Blackie04/03/2015 22:55:05
40 forum posts
2 photos

I am replying to my own post! That's because I have the answer for how to retro fit lights to a (my) router. I've not taken any photos but if anyone wants some I can take them just ask.

1. Your router has no lighting so it is difficult to see where the cutter is cutting.

2. You can take off the base plate and are left with an upper side about 15mm thick with cavities underneath.

3. Purchase 2x 40 lumen replacement maglite LED bulbs from ebay (http://tinyurl.com/lkkhjxl)

4. Also a battery pack which takes 2 AAA batteries with an on/off switch built in (ebay) (http://tinyurl.com/k7da7hc)

5. And a pack of AAA batteries

6. The maglite bulbs have two stiff wires out (+ve & -ve), an 11mm disk shape and on the other side a stem 3.5mm diameter with the actual LED stuck on the end.

7. Drill holes 3.5mm diameter horizontally from the circumference of the router base through to the well where the cutter rotates. You might need a long drill to do this.

8. fix (using 2x sided sticky tape) the LED so that it will shine into the well but is just below the surface of the well wall.

8a. Again using 2x sided sticky tape adher a fillet of celluoid - from stiff packing material, to cover the hole where the LED points into the cutter area or well. Keeps the LED from being drenched in wood dust.

9. Drill a vertical hole 4mm in the top of the upper base plate - to feed two pairs of wires through from the top. (one red, one black)

10. Run one black and one red wire from the bulb connectors to the 4mm exit hole. Connect red to + and black to - on the bulb. Which is which is marked in the bulb.

11. Join the red lead on the battery pack to the red lead from the bulb and then the black one.

12. Repeat steps 7 to 11 for the second bulb so that it is positioned opposite to the first one, but connect it to the battery pack leads in parallel to the first bulb.

13. The battery pack switch on and you should see light.

14. Let me know if you are lost!

JohnB

Ron Davis05/03/2015 19:46:20
1614 forum posts
201 photos

Or you can contact Simon Hope and get a light with a battery pack with the necessary magnets, works well with the light attached to the underside of your lathe tool rest, lights up the bit where you are cutting!

Ron

John Blackie05/03/2015 22:50:30
40 forum posts
2 photos

I could Ron. But my router is largely made of aluminium and plastic so a magnetic attachment method wouldn't work. I have today been using my now upgraded router and it's a huge improvement now that I have lighting right down near the business end of it. The light fills the whole cutting well area. I think though I'll need to put in two more LEDs, so illuminate a part of the well which hasn't quite been covered.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tool Post
Tormek
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact