By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

bandsaw advice

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Max Hill22/02/2015 15:04:32
4 forum posts

Hiya

firstly, hi, my names max and am a newbie to the community

secondly, i have a question for the more experienced bandsaw owners out there. i recently restored and old Dewalt DW100 that i found in the street. with a now working bandsaw i have begun more ambitious projects and come off very well. However i must admit, given that the saw is almost 15 years old i believe it will not last long and therefore i am planning in advance as the to bandsaw which i intend to purchase next. I was wondering what the forums advice was on such a saw. i believe that i would be best off with a 14-16 inch throat (not sure if thats the right word) and am willing to spend up to £350.(540 dollars)

Any advice?

thanks

max

Ron Davis22/02/2015 17:39:51
1614 forum posts
201 photos

Found it in the street indeed! nothing like that left out in the rain hereabouts.

Bank your money and earn some interest on it and run the De Walt until it fails, it may be a year or two yet.

Most, if not all, band-saws are made in china to the same pattern and will be very similar in performance. Get one from one of the more well known maker and all should be well.

Welcome to the forum, I look forward to seeing more posts from you

Ron

Max Hill22/02/2015 19:36:26
4 forum posts

sounds like a good idea

i found the saw on my way to school, it was actually at the time raining,as it usually is in london around February, luckily the electronics are all stored in a relatively tightly sealed compartment and all was well!!

thanks for the help

max

Paul Bodiam23/02/2015 13:47:51
106 forum posts
62 photos

The DW100 is a really good starter bandsaw. I used a 2nd-hand one for abut 10 years before upgrading to a machine with more capacity.

I agree with Ron's advice: use it until it fails, or until your projects outgrow its capacity. It will serve you well.

By the way, I bought my DW100 or 50 quid, used it hard for nearly 10 years, and then sold it via eBay for 100

Edited By Paul Bodiam on 23/02/2015 13:54:30

Julian26/02/2015 12:05:29
552 forum posts
28 photos

Hi Max -- Bandsaws generally go on for ever, mine must be 50 years old. Run it till it drops as it's a good one and will last a long time. Julian

Max Hill26/02/2015 21:37:31
4 forum posts

yeah

they are relatively simple in design with not tonnes of moving parts to break

the dw100 is running nicely so far!!

Ron Davis27/02/2015 17:34:31
1614 forum posts
201 photos

All you have to do now is make something and show us your work.

Ron

Max Hill28/02/2015 10:19:31
4 forum posts

Oh yeah no I've been very busy!

some of my first bandsaw projects can be seen on my blog here

https://bushcraftb.wordpress.com/2015/02/22/first-few-bandsaw-projects/

here are some of the things I made for the saw as (considering i found it on the street) it was rather lacking in accesories. The sort of thing i made include a crosscut sled like you would find on a table saw or a normal fence

https://bushcraftb.wordpress.com/2015/02/22/191/

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Tool Post
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact