By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Scheppach TISA 5

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Roy Oxlade19/02/2015 08:20:55
16 forum posts
Hi all

Well I purchased one of these table saws and thought I would provide some feedback. It comes partially assembled, you have to do the rest and the first obstacle is that the instuctions are really hopeless. The Scheppach product guide is good because at least the picture of the TISA 5 gives you some idea what it should look like, the booklet that comes with the saw provides Sketchy diagrams that need a lot of interpretation.

I was not impressed with the quality, compared to my Kreg router table which is more substantial with better fixings. The Kreg frame is heavy angle that is fixed using uses 8mm coach screws whilst the Scheppach is pressed tin fixed with 6mm bolts and the washers are to small. It certainly does not feel like good solid German engineering but then I suppose new German cars are not as good as they were and they are even more expensive. The fence is really crude, but until I try it I cannot comment but gut instinct says that I will be fitting a better one at some point, any recommendations? Well I will continue the assembly saga and once up and running I will continue my feedback and let you know how it performs and how accurate. I am also unsure why they call it a "site saw" because it is 230 volts and not 110. You also have to provide a plug and wire it to there German two pin connector, been nice if they provides the cable!

Roy
Roy Oxlade19/02/2015 16:32:43
16 forum posts

Hi all

Next episode, still got nut's, screws and bits everywhere and now the sliding table attachment has arrived and guess what, yes another hopeless manual and more bits. I immediately thought there was a problem because the two attachment plates were not handed, both being identical but on close inspection this is how it is, really highlights the standards German engineering has go to compared to the days when they were overly meticulous and I suspect it is partially assembled in Germany but with most parts imported. Already spent £15 on new washers and fixings because the ones supplied were not that good, and with slots you need the larger penny washers which they don't supply. Now I find there are missing fixings for the table attachment and I think that this is going to be returned for refund as it will cause more problems than it is worth, the money then will buy a decent fence as now the one supplied has been fitted there is about 4mm movement at the far end which is not right. Will check that there is nothing missing or not fitted!

Overall given the chance again I would not purchase a TISA, maybe the Precisa is better foir the extra £1000!

Once it is running and cutting will give the final feedback and let you know how I get on with the fence. Can anyone recommend a decent aftermarket Biesemeyer style fence ?

thanks Roy

Roy Oxlade23/02/2015 13:34:05
16 forum posts
Hi all

I have now made up the power cable and have this machine running, it certainly has the power and speed to deliver nice claen cuts. Downside is the fence, it is crude, really crude and must be replaced with something more accurate and easier to setup to give repeatable cuts for what I expect.

The one thing I will be fitting is a proper accessible E stop that can be foot operated, perhaps as it is sold domestic they do not require one.

Roy
Roy Oxlade06/03/2015 19:22:18
16 forum posts

Hi all

Well I have come to the conclusion that this saw is made for course cutting on a building site. It cuts well and with good depth but has no accuracy. The fence supplied is misaligned and they are sending out a new one but I don't think it will achieve my wish of true and straight without a fight. I have been using an axminster power tool guide clamped across the table but this highlighted an issue with the riving blade because the wood now has to follow the fence the riving blade stops progress unless you push it away from the fence to allow the wood to pass. I now question myself with "am I being to accurate, should I really expect a cut over 250mm to be within 3mm" ? On inspection the riving blade is twisted and cannot be aligned with the blade from top to bottom and across its full width so another issue on a saw less than two months old.

I think I have no choice but to purchase something like a 10 inch SIP and throw the Scheppach on Ebay.

Roy

Big Al06/03/2015 21:52:13
1593 forum posts
73 photos

Hi

I can vouch for the sip10" saw as I own one. The only gripe that I have always had with it is the dust extraction, it's very poor. Other than that it's a great saw. I bought mine 10 years ago, second hand, and the only things that have gone on it is the drive belt, which I replaced with one from a car parts shop, and the nvr switch.

Al

Roy Oxlade07/03/2015 20:23:27
16 forum posts

Thanks Al for the positive feedback on the SIP 10

Dust extraction I can put up with or get round but something that cannot cut accurately is pointless, I could cut a better line with my handsaw. The other issue is the 2.5 mm dip in the middle of the table, with a straight edge across it the gap in the middle is starring out at you, so time to shift the tin top and get an iron top.

Roy

Big Al08/03/2015 08:19:30
1593 forum posts
73 photos

Hi Roy

Having googled your saw I am not surprised that you are having issues with it. It is a site saw and you won't get the accuracy from it.

Al

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Tormek
Tool Post
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact