By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Spinning wheels

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Raymond Sanderson12/02/2015 22:49:36
48 forum posts
71 photos

Four years ago I was asked to do a restoration on an Hedridian spinning wheel

That was it when it was handed over of course LOML being a spinner fell in love with the old style wheel. She already has a Wee Peggy, Tyrolian and a Sickenger.

I started producing parts way back then, sadly both wheels were sidelined often over the years due to other projects. Ola the restoration was handed over last year fully working sadly it is only a show piece. But its family heritage goes back to the UK some 5 generations.

I have tried my best to finish off Olga the new wheel all made from English Oak and as many know things crop up, go astray etc this one was/is no exception. I was almost there when in truing the main wheel dissater happened for some reason the outer diameter would not run true an out of round and wobble saw me having to start again and make a whole new wheel from scratch. A mate produced the felloes and the day after my disaster he had a fight with a router bit and lost part of his index finger. Well these last few days i have again trued the wheel and now need to drill spoke holes and fit them.
Here's a few pics of progress I will add the finished wheel soon I hope.

The first wheeel

dscf8015.jpg

dscf8036.jpg

The first wheel prior truing the outer dia below

dscf8034.jpg

Edited By Raymond Sanderson on 12/02/2015 22:56:21

Derek Lane12/02/2015 23:01:59
3204 forum posts
990 photos

Looks like you are having fun doing all of these.

I bet that wheel was fun turning especially with that centre piece flying around.

Raymond Sanderson12/02/2015 23:36:29
48 forum posts
71 photos

Derek its been a journey of learning, fun and one of frustration he latter more due to the period of time taken to do both. I have however enjoyed it all I never thought when taking up turning I would ever make a wheel such as this let alone restore a 200 year old heirloom.

That axle spinning sure had me well aware it was there all the time low revs and safe movements always sadly thats the one which would not true up. I hope to use it as something else in the future.

Raymond Sanderson04/03/2015 21:48:16
48 forum posts
71 photos

dscf8350.jpgdscf8349.jpgAfter a major problem truing the main wheel above new felloes were made and a different method of truing them used as well as the Tongue & groove method to join instead of what had been done.

This is the assembly test stage a few minor adjustments to make and I will soon have a clear bench top.

The new main wheel is still English Oak one side a colour I have never seen in EO before the other you would swear it was laminated.

dscf8347.jpg

Derek Lane06/03/2015 00:05:39
3204 forum posts
990 photos

The end result is well worth the time and effort Ray. A job well done

Raymond Sanderson06/03/2015 03:30:29
48 forum posts
71 photos

Thanks Derek minor things to do as always.

Then its into more serious wood turning and even more importantly metal work.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Transwave 2017
Tormek
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact