By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Two piece spindle query

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Dino28/01/2015 17:52:39
5 forum posts
3 photos

Hi there,

Newbie on the forum and really enjoying reading all the experiences on here.

I am turning two piece spindles for dismantlable tables and have a couple of niggles I was hoping someone could shed light on.

I am using 3"x3" pine and cutting into two 350 mm lengths drilling and fitting D inserts and bolt, screwing them together and turning the two pieces together between centres.

My issues are that when finished turning the spindle the screw fittings, when unscrewed, are way of centre.

It looks great when screwed together but opens 'shoogley'

I also am wondering what the best glue would be for setting the D inserts. They are going into end grain and early attempts have been hit and miss, when tightly screwed together some have just pulled the fitting out!

I have been using epoxy and leaving it to cure overnight.

My turning friends have drawn a blank and are as confused as me.

Any input would be appreciated.

Dino

Big Al28/01/2015 21:43:24
1592 forum posts
73 photos

With regards to what glue to use try a polyurethane glue such as gorilla glue, always works for me. If you have the same problem it could be the pine that's letting you down.

Al

Dino28/01/2015 23:17:41
5 forum posts
3 photos

Hi Al,

Thanks very much for the quick reply. I have tried Gorilla glue but it failed also.

I think you may be right with the pine being the problem.

I am going to try using a longer/deeper D insert and see if the extra surface area helps.

Thanks again,

Dino

Keith Smith07/02/2015 09:26:42
83 forum posts
5 articles

I would have thought epoxy would have been the best option but especially when you use it on end grain you need to use a filler such as colloidal silica. You use unfilled epoxy to coat both faces of the joint, let that soak in then mix colloidal silica into the mixed epoxy until you get a thick creamy consistency, apply that to the joint cramp up and leave to set. A simpler, but less strong, alternative is Titebond 3 which is not too bad at gluing end grain, Gorilla glue is pretty poor as a general adhesive and particularly so on end grain so I would avoid that.

Dino07/02/2015 11:06:32
5 forum posts
3 photos

Hi Keith,

Thanks very much for replying and your help. I tried the epoxy but for some reason it didn't like the pine and didn't cure properly. I didn't know about your method of lining with the resin then adding colloidal silica etc. I will have a go at that next time for the experience of it thanks. I tried Gorilla glue but same issue.

I glued up 5 more this last week and used a longer D insert (25mm) the initial one I used was only 13mm and this time I used medium CA glue and accelerator and it has held great so far so time will tell if it doesn't have endurance but it seems solid.

I will update if the joint fails under use after time.

Thanks again,

Dino

Dino03/03/2015 20:09:01
5 forum posts
3 photos

Hello again,

Update to the tables I made. I used the longer D inserts (25mm) using superglue and accelerator and they have been holding great.

Thanks for your input

I have attached a couple of pictures of the finished product if you are interested in seeing what I was on about

I am reasonably new to all of this so please forgive the basic turning it is nothing like the standard of most of the excellent woodworkers pics on here but I am surfing along this journey and loving the learning curve

Still having to eyeball the centering of the fixings and they aren't dead centre but lock into position fine so just a niggle really.

If anyone has any thoughts on how to centre the D insert and screw bolt I would be real chuffed.

Cheers,

Dino

profile 1.jpg

dismantled.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Tool Post
D B Keighley
Tormek
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact