By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

First turning of 2015

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Derek Lane08/01/2015 16:47:05
3204 forum posts
990 photos

Well I have managed to get the first turning of 2015. OK not a fantastic artistic piece but for fun after the Christmas holiday just to get back into the swing of things.

I confess in as much that it was started some time ago and put on hold while I made Christmas presents and the like.

Turned from tulip wood and glued to give me the thickness of material needed. It has 4 separate pieces for the main part. I painted it with artist acrylic paints. The letters on the front are cut from 1/16" ply and when stuck on sanded to make them even thinner they stand 1/2" tall and a little fiddly to make.

It stand 8" tall and 3 1/2" at the widest point

This is a copy from Ian Wilkie which I have made some small changes

2015-01-06 001 004.jpg

dennis wake09/01/2015 23:48:07
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles

hope the post man delivers a sack full of goodies to the owner of this box Derek. well turned

IAN WILKIE10/01/2015 23:05:35
3 forum posts

It is always encouraging for me to see one of my projects made by a reader and you have done a first class job with the post money box Derek. It was a fun thing to turn and I still have the original. I remember the ER letters were quite a challenge and yours have come out really well. I wonder what you will tackle next. Happy woodturning! Ian Wilkie

Derek Lane10/01/2015 23:52:59
3204 forum posts
990 photos
Posted by IAN WILKIE on 10/01/2015 23:05:35:

It is always encouraging for me to see one of my projects made by a reader and you have done a first class job with the post money box Derek. It was a fun thing to turn and I still have the original. I remember the ER letters were quite a challenge and yours have come out really well. I wonder what you will tackle next. Happy woodturning! Ian Wilkie

Thank you Dennis and Ian.

I remembered when I first saw this in the magazine that I wanted to have a go at it. This is one of those projects that get you back into spindle turning or even for a novice to learn spindle work, like how to turn a straight cylinder and also some bead work.

As I said I did start this last year but other things got in the way. If I was to make it again I would forget the slot in the top and make it where the letter slot is.

Most of my turning is to my own design

sad sam12/01/2015 16:16:40
586 forum posts
226 photos

very well made derek i may pinch the idea

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Tool Post
D B Keighley
Tormek
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact