By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

What table saw ?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Roy Oxlade26/12/2014 17:09:19
16 forum posts

Hi all

Have a good Bosch 315mm mitre saw but am now looking at a table saw and need some of your experience. I want accuracy and repeatability with cuts not a site rip saw. I am looking at the offerings from Axminster, the TS 200 or TS 250, Charnwood W619 8'' but as yet not convinced by schappach & record.

All your thoughts and opinions appreciated

thanks Roy

Roy Oxlade28/12/2014 20:26:26
16 forum posts

Hi all

Going to re-phrase my question, what table saw are you using and what do you like and dislike about it? Also do you always get what you pay for? I have read that some people on other sites have brought more expensive gear that is not as good as some cheaper stuff which contradicts what I have always believed in that you always get what you pay for within reason. Another good topic hear is why can Americans use table saws with exposed blades yet we British cannot be trusted and CE marking insist on blade guards and braked motors, it is not as if Americans have more fingers and therefore can afford to lose some.

all the best Roy

Big Al29/12/2014 08:57:19
1593 forum posts
73 photos

Hi Roy

I have owned a SIP 10" heavy duty table saw for about 8 years now and bought it second hand. For the positive points, it does everything that I want it to do and is as powerful as any machine can be considering that it is a single phase machine.

There are however a few things wrong with it, the first point is the dust extraction, it is very poor. I need to move it twice a year and clean out underneath the machine. The only other issue is that every time I move the fence I have to check that it is parallel to the mitre slot before using it.

With regards to why the Americans can use table saws in the way that is often shown in TV shows and internet video's, I can certainly understand why braked motor's are insisted upon, having been employed as a wood machinist for most of my working life. Although I haven't seen anyone loose their fingers, I have certainly come across plenty of people that have lost fingers or bits of, because they used a machine without correct guarding in place. Machine safety should be of utmost importance in a workshop.

Al

Roy Oxlade01/01/2015 13:35:57
16 forum posts

Hi Al

Thanks for the reply, and yes I agree with safety but sometimes being too safe makes people complacent ! I think that I need to be more specific as to what I want from a table saw and then find something that suits my needs. I have been using my Kreg router table to trim and size but it is not ideal so hence the search for a table saw. I do not need the capability to cut full size 8 by 4s as I just do not have the space, what I do need is to cut down offcuts and trim 4 by 2s and smaller, cross cuts are done on my Bosch mitre saw. Having visited several woodworking shows last year I should have taken more interest in table saws but unfortunately I had other requirements. The other issue is quality, a very contentious issue and often issues seem to be more highlighted in self build machines.

thanks Roy

Roy Oxlade03/01/2015 21:29:44
16 forum posts

Hi all

To start getting an idea on what money buys I looked at the likes of Clarke in Machine mart and they are toys, plastic fences and wobbly fittings you could make a better cut with a handsaw. So it looks like a lower price is at least £400 to get something that will make accurate and repeatable cuts. Leaning towards Scheppach and SIP, with Charnwood and Axminster on the sidelines.

Roy

Daniel Paull04/01/2015 10:41:52
2 forum posts

Hi, im after a little advice if any1 can help, I have a Bosch GTS10XC table saw 110v. the last time I used it to rip through a 40mm oak block worktop, it struggled and the the motor cut out and has no life in it at present

What is best for me to check? to try get this fixed? Thanks

Roy Oxlade04/01/2015 21:07:30
16 forum posts

Hi Daniel

Have you tried it lately, cutting out sounds like it got too hot and a thermal cut out tripped, unless it was smoking before hand ! Not sure if the cut out automatically resets or it is a manual reset on your saw. Next step will be to check the motor itself which you will need some basic test gear, namely a megger and a multimeter to check for open or shorted windings. Any other symptoms before it stopped or just after ?

Roy

Daniel Paull05/01/2015 10:37:48
2 forum posts

Hi Roy

no other sypmtoms or no smoking from the motor , I would say that the blade jammed and the saw cut out,and gave up on me.

I pulled bushes out lastnight to check but they seemed fine. I am going to take the motor out today and have a sparky friend test it.

Do you know where the thermal cut out would be, I will try google it also.

thanks for your help

Daniel

Roy Oxlade08/01/2015 18:11:37
16 forum posts

Hi there

Some are obvious like the ones on extension cable drums and others may be within the motor and should reset once they have cooled down. Not sure on the Bosch but being German it should have some protection. Let us know what your friend finds,

Roy

charlie arnold08/01/2015 19:53:20
2 forum posts

Don't want to sound as if I am statin' the bleedin' obvious but if your 110v is supplied via a 240/110 transformer, have you checked to see if the fuse has blown in the plug supplying the transformer?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Transwave 2017
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Tormek
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact