Pocket Hole Jigs

How good are they

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David Nevin20/12/2014 12:43:11
57 forum posts
26 photos

I have been looking at purchasing a pocket hole jig Kreg or UJK Technology

My question is how useful are they and do they work on MDF and are they good for large assemblies any help would be appreciated

Julian20/12/2014 16:28:47
547 forum posts
28 photos

Hi David, never tried them on MDF but on pine they give a very strong joint. edges need to be perfectly square and apply a little glue. I have the Kreg Jig. -- Julian

Roy Oxlade26/12/2014 16:41:58
16 forum posts

Hi there

I have both the Kreg kit and the larger one that does the 2 1/2 screws and they make many jobs easier. For example I made the frame for a large cupboard for a new boiler and hot water cylinder from 3 by 2's and used 2 1/2 kreg pocket hole screws. All the screw holes were hidden once I panelled the outside, it is strong and only took a morning to make.

Roy

Spanner02/01/2015 19:36:27
16 forum posts
2 photos

I purchased the UKJ one last Jan

simple it works, easy to use & set up and better still they now make a plug cutter as the drill is 9.5mm different from kreg.

with the pocket hole systems you can use either fine or course threaded screws depending on what wood you are joining.

Also here is a useful tip I use an old main corded drill for drilling the holes, in fact it was one of my fathers an old B&D Orange and white model!! I leave the drill bit in it full time.

David Nevin03/01/2015 15:56:27
57 forum posts
26 photos

Many thanks for your replies I think I will get the UKJ jig as it look more substantial than the kreg

will try out on MDF when I get the jig and see if they hold

Have some wardrobe to make in a very odd shape alcove so hope this jig will help

Big Al03/01/2015 16:54:57
1593 forum posts
73 photos

I bought a Trend one about 9 years ago and at times it really comes into its own. I have seen advertised somewhere a clamp that fits into the pocket and pulls the 2 components together making screwing a lot easier, its called a pock-it clamp. I have just had a quick look for it on google and amazon sell it for around £12 including delivery.

Al

Roy Oxlade03/01/2015 21:24:38
16 forum posts

Hi Dave

The Kreg is I believe the original, UJK is the Axminster brand, I have found no issues with the quality of the kreg jigs and their clamps are very good. With MDF I use pocket hole screws, a couple of dowels with my Dowelmax to maintain alignment and glue, you get a strong joint. Always use the right screws as they pull the joint together without splitting.

Roy

David Nevin07/01/2015 11:31:04
57 forum posts
26 photos

Many thanks for all your advice I have purchased the UJK pocket jig from axminster they hadt it online for £114 but spotted another supplier offering it for 98.95 chatted with Axminster online and they agreed to price match with no problem will send photos of the wardrobe fitted in alcove when completed WHEN the weather improves

its too cold in my workshop

But many thanks for the help

David

Dave Long17/01/2015 22:07:12
6 forum posts

I have both the UKJ kit and an older axminster kit (optimised I think for 18mm) and use them where ever possible. I made some rabbit runs for the family last year that hinged to fold flat and used the axminster jig and UKJ pocket hole screws. My daughter's run recently broke at two joints, and on inspection is was where I had been short of 4 screws and used same length pan head screws and washers. Moral is, even if they look the same, only use proper pocket hole screws. I agree with spanner, a mains drill is so much better but cordless works if needed (but slower - you need the speed).

I've used them in MDF (garage shelving), English oak (built in wardrobe frames) and laminated chipboard (bedroom drawer unit). I've also used them alongside dowel joints or biscuits to avoidclamps.

Dave

Diaz Jona04/07/2019 07:48:10
2 forum posts

I use pocket holes for EVERYTHING! Easy way to get great results. I started with the cheapest pocket hole jig that kreg made and it worked, but on big projects i spent a ton of time practicing getting the drill bit set up and having to measure and clamp for every single hole i did. This version is a huge time saver! I would highly recommend buying this! after reading review on pocket hole jigs used this for building the shelves on the TV stand i built and it turned out great!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Transwave 2017
Wood Workers Workshop
Chippendale
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact