By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Cross with Clock

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Derek Lane20/10/2014 18:01:30
3204 forum posts
990 photos

Made from an old bread board this is for My mum to give to a friend at Christmas. She just said "can you make something for my friend for Christmas I'll leave it up to you" she is in her 90's bless her, luckily I know that her friend is quite religious.

It is a Steve Goods pattern but I have incorporated a clock so had to do some slight changes to the centre where the clock sits.

2014-10-20 001 003.jpg

Malcolm Alexander 120/10/2014 18:19:27
57 forum posts
37 photos

That's excellent David. What blade did you use with the scroll saw and which machine do you have?

Malcolm

dennis wake20/10/2014 20:12:38
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles

very good Derek hope the recipient that is getting it likes it which I think they will.

dennis

sad sam20/10/2014 20:35:56
588 forum posts
229 photos

really nice derek and a good idea for a present

Derek Lane21/10/2014 12:53:16
3204 forum posts
990 photos
Posted by Malcolm Alexander 1 on 20/10/2014 18:19:27:

That's excellent David. What blade did you use with the scroll saw and which machine do you have?

Malcolm

It's Derek by the way Malcolm.

If I remember correctly I used some where in the region of a 20tpi blade can't remember the number as unfortunately even though I keep the different blades separate I forgot to mark them when I put them into the rack I keep them in. The machine I have is a Rexon 16" very simular to THIS ONE

Malcolm Alexander 121/10/2014 16:00:51
57 forum posts
37 photos

Thanks Derek,

sorry about the slip up on the name. I must try some thicker wood on our scrollsaw, which is a 16" Record. I have only used thinner stock before, but you seem to know what you are doing with such good work.

Malcolm

Ron Davis21/10/2014 19:40:48
1606 forum posts
201 photos

Hi Malcolm, a couple of mates and I are in the middle of making some 350ish figures for our cathedral, these are for a teaching technique for young children, it is based on the tale of Pilgrims Progress.

We are using a variety of woods for this all around the 22mm mark. I bought my blades from Hobbies as the were cheap and Hobbies are a well known name, they list the blades in the order of the thickness of wood you want to cut.

I got some which cut up to 50mm and they were way ahead of those for thinner stock.

Try Googling Alwayshobbies, or for better deal good old EBay.

Ron

Malcolm Alexander 121/10/2014 22:17:37
57 forum posts
37 photos

Thanks Ron,

We did order some Dutch blades that we are using, but have very little experience of scrollsaw work and was curious as to what Derek had actually used for his lovely cross work. Possibly some 1" oak?

With the very little knowledge my son and I have, we just plod along, but are trying to learn more as we go. My son has done some nice scrollsaw work and my use has only been cutting the back of bandsaw boxes with the fine blade, to house the hidden drawer.

Alex

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact