By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Table Saw Safety

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
steve h10/10/2014 13:19:06
403 forum posts
128 photos

Hello all -

I have again been out of the workshop for some time and with the intention of getting back in again, I decided that I wanted to make my own table saw guard.

I have a SIP 10" cast iron table saw and wanted to remove the propriety blade guard. I removed the riving knife and made the slot longer, which allows the riving knife to sit about 4mm lower than the blade, so material can pass over the top.

I then set about making an additional side support table that I could fix a support pillar to the branch across the top of the table to suspend a clear acrylic guard that I have knocked together.

This will be then be fixed to the overhead beam and through a series of brackets, will rise and fall whilst not being attached to anything.

I know Axminster do a kit for this, but did not want to part with £160.00 and the reviews are not all the brilliant.

Bottom line is: Is this a safe method of using the saw?

Your comments/thoughts please

Thanks

Steve

Big Al10/10/2014 16:08:12
1604 forum posts
73 photos

Personally I don't think there is anything wrong with what you have described. You could incorporate some sort of rise and fall so that you can keep the guard close to the workpiece.

Al

steve h24/10/2014 15:22:44
403 forum posts
128 photos

Thanks Al - apologies for the lateness of my reply -

Following several attempts to make the suspended part, I gave up and purchased the Axminster one.

My main issue was that when the blade cover lifted it always traveled forward at the same time, making it very difficult to use.

The Axminster one is very good and they got around the issue (I had never seen this on any other one on the internet) they had a sliding top piece which allows you to move the cover backwards and forwards as well as a rise and fall.

The steel pipework is also very heavy and had to do lots of adjustments and also have to rig up a support from my ceiling to support the weight of the pipe as it spans out across the saw table.

Well - no excuses now (besides a lack of time embarrassed) to get back on with it - cleaned up the garage got everything sorted and.......................................................................................................................................................................??

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Craft Supplies
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Marriott & Co
Felder UK April 2016
Robert Sorby
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact