By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Flattening sandpaper

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Amos Starkadder02/10/2014 13:51:45
25 forum posts
1 photos

New sandpaper frequently arrives tightly coiled. It's no use in this state, it needs flattening somehow in order to affix to, say, a sheet of mdf with spray adhesive (a good method for box components & for tool sharpening).

So how does anyone flatten their sandpaper? I'm about to try a light spraying with a garden spray then clamp between a couple of mdf boards - for how long I don't know. Can I do several at once with, say, newspaper in between? Will the glue on the sandpaper come unstuck and ruin it?

Amos Starkadder02/10/2014 13:54:45
25 forum posts
1 photos

I should add that the sandpaper I have is so tightly coiled that coils up after affixing to mdf with spray adhesive.

Derek Lane03/10/2014 16:59:27
3206 forum posts
990 photos

What spray adhesive are you using as some of them you can reposition the paper for up to a few hours then it becomes permanent. But by cutting the paper into the desired length and putting it under load as you say will help stop it coiling to some extent Do not spray it with anything.

dennis wake04/10/2014 19:17:09
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles

hi Amos

if you are using spray contact adhesive . the best way of using it is to spray both surfaces with the glue then leave them for a few minuets to tack of. then you can stick them together but make Shure it is exactly where you want them as it will not come apart and it will stay flat. this is the way I do it for my sanding disks for my lathe.

dennis

Ron Davis06/10/2014 17:50:57
1608 forum posts
201 photos

I use double sided carpet tape, sticks nearly anything! I have a disc sander I made for the lathe and I can stick the abrasive on that and it stays. To remove the worn out abrasive, slide a sharp scraper( general use scraper, not one you would use on the lathe) and it will peel off, usually leaving the tape on the backing piece, just warm it up with a hot air gun and it will peel off ok

Ron

sad sam07/10/2014 18:12:53
589 forum posts
229 photos

hi amos

i bought velco hook self adhesive put it on mdf and then bought velco backed sandpaper

you can also use micromesh on it i have different diameter discs for use on the lathe done in this way

i find you can control the speed better and avoid scorching

Eugene Anderson08/10/2014 10:24:54
47 forum posts
21 photos

Carpet spray adhesive (B&Q) will hold your sandpaper down, spray, leave for a minute, fix sandpaper and if it rolls up place another piece of mdf on top until it dries but you shouldn't need to do that.

Edited By Eugene Anderson on 08/10/2014 10:25:38

Malcolm Alexander 109/12/2015 08:02:40
57 forum posts
37 photos

Have you tried Mirka Abranet? I previously used sandpapers but wouyld never go back to them. abranet lets the dust through and stays clean, particularly if you use the kit which has a sanding block with holes for a vacuume. https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=abranet+starter+kit

Joe O 309/12/2015 10:35:28
203 forum posts

​

Hi Amos,

Cut of the length you want and coil it up tightly in the opposite direction . This will help to cancel out the bend. Then fix it in place. I usually use double sided tape. Hope this is of some use.

Joe.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Transwave 2017
Wood Workers Workshop
Chippendale
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact