By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Face

Here is a list of all the postings Face has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Rutland Tools
03/09/2009 20:42:11

I was on the point of buying 4 Dakota clamps from them and a new set of chisels, I've used them before and they were pretty quick with the despatch but this thread has made me re-think a little bit.

Finn - Hope you don't have to wait too much longer for your stuff.

Paul
Thread: Newsletters
03/09/2009 20:32:38

Same for me Ben, box is ticked but no newsletter

Paul
Thread: Oil & Toil
03/09/2009 20:27:55

Thanks guys
Think I'll probably try the sanding sealer and the laquer on a couple of scraps and see what the result is like. I've used the laquer before, only thing was the number of coats got up to about 5 before I got a fairly decent finsh and sheen - maybe a combination of the two might help with the sealer stopping the timber soaking up too much.

Paul
02/09/2009 21:45:09
Sorry I think I've posted this in the wrong section but can't work out how to move it.

Paul
02/09/2009 21:43:20
Guys
I'm sure someone is going to be able to help me with this and apologies if it's a bit of a thick question.
Almost all of my projects are in oak or ash. My problem is the finish!
I use Danish oil normally but this seems to darken the wood which is the last thing I want, can any of you give me some advice on the best way of finishing the timber to get a smooth to the touch finish that has little or no effect on the natural colour of the timber itself - I've scrapped more that one peice of work simply because the finish wasn't what I had anticipated (not nice on the pocket with the price of oak and ash being what it is).
I've tried a 50/50 oil and white spirit mix but the results were disappointing to say the least.
Am I missing something obvious here.

Paul 
Thread: Going Down?
02/09/2009 20:40:17
Hi Ron
Guess your right but maybe a way around that is that you put something into your own build that wasn't in the original - may not make it better but probably makes it more your "own".
I built a chest of drawers in Oak a while ago and the wife says I should post a picture, so once I've got my act together timewise I'll post it and hope that it gets some constructive criticism that will help with future projects.

Paul
02/09/2009 20:05:36
Sparky & Baz
Thanks for the welcome, no I won't be put off the site I enjoy reading everyones comments and tips. I'm going to build an Oak coffee table with 2 drawers soon but am cheating a bit because it's based on a picture from a magazine but the wife likes it so that's that sorted really. I also need to build a tool cabinet for the garage workshop, already designed it so just a case of getting round to it, darker evenings should help that.
Once again thanks for the welcome.

Paul
31/08/2009 20:36:38
Hi All
 I've been visiting the site for a while now but haven't posted anything simply because I don't think my projects come anywhere near to the quality of the rest of you, but I have enjoyed reading about your own works. However, I would have to say, having recently subscibed to the magazine, that the treatment the subscription service offers is little better than some of the comments made about their overall involvement and participation in the site. After 3 months I still haven't had the advertised free gift and have only received one copy of the magazine, if this, combined with this discussion, is a sign of things to come this could be a very short lived forum involvement and subscription on my part.

Paul
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Tormek
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact