By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Roy B

Here is a list of all the postings Roy B has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: lathe turning courses
19/05/2011 22:19:22
I have just aquired a basic Record lathe together with a number of chisels.I thought it might be a good idea to get a bit of tuition to show me the basics. When look in the magazines I find that all the courses appear to be down south or 40 to 50 miles from me. I live in North Lincolnshire does anyone know of someone near at hand to give me a start in turning.

Thread: wood mouldings for a longcase clock
01/03/2011 19:04:09
thanks to all the very comprehensive and informative replies I agree with john and simon that the way forward is to produce a template and from that make the actual moulding. It is nice to be able to pick such willing brains and in doing so increase my own abilities which is I suppose the idea of these forums having said that they are only as good as the people the contrbute thats why I picked this one. Once again thanks to everyone.

Roy B
28/02/2011 10:07:02
Thankls for your response Mailee, when I use the word average I mean that moulding does not have the sharpness and crispness of a shop bought moulding. My difficulty has been that I can only cut out the moulding with a jig saw with any degree of accuracy but this means that i do not get a nice sharp edge to the work. As you suggest I am using a bearing guided router cutter but this follows my saw cut warts and all.I agree with your suggestion for the table mounted router but it does seem somewhat hazardous to say the least.
27/02/2011 19:40:34
I am in the process of building a loncase clock it is generally straightforward construction but I am experiencing difficulty with making the wooden mouldings. The clock has an arch dial and therefore the topof the hood has to follow the shape of the arch which is not a true arc. I have made a moulding by cutting a piece of oak from the solid and then put a decorative edge on wih a hand held router. the result is only average. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a method of creating an arched moulding approx. 25mm wide. I do not possess a table router.
Thread: I am now live!
24/01/2011 19:41:09
Good luck with your venture although your obvious skills will bring youall the luck you may need. Roy B.
Thread: cupped timber
08/07/2010 09:44:45

I have just been tasked with repairing a small oak tilt top table. The repairs consist os re-gluing the 4 pieces of oak that make up the top. The top is approx. 4ft. round and the parts have parted cleanly at the joints. It appears that it has been apart for quite a while as the two inner pieces have cupped and I feel if i re-join them as they are I will have a very wavy top. The oak is approx. 3/4 in. thick and when complete will have two braces underneath to keep the top stable. these are held in place by screws. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how top can be straightened out prior to glueing or whether it is possible to glue the top up and then straighten it.
Thread: dewalt radial arm saw DW 1502 setting up
27/04/2010 14:00:28

Thanks very much for your help an assistance. I think I can sort it out now  but I am sure I would have struggled without your help.

Roy B.
19/04/2010 10:34:57
thank you for your quick response and your kind offer. pewrhaps you can contact me with regard to your manual . I must add that I am new to all of this  so if I am not following the correct procedures please excuse me. I look forward to hearing from you.
Thanks, Roy. B.
17/04/2010 16:27:31
I have just aquired a Dewalt RAS. I amhaving afew problems setting up the table.The metal table to which the pillar and saw are fitted has a central metal strap which has custom made bolts whch screw into retained nuts. This will foul any wooden work table that is fitted on top. There is also a wooden board with two metal straps that obviously belong to the saw but I cannot work out where it fits. Can anyone help with advice on how to properly assemble the metal table or with information where I might obtain a workshop manual for this machine.
Thread: replacement drive belt
19/04/2009 12:57:57
I have an old but good electric hand planer a Tarplaner Mk.1V. the drive belt has broken and I have been unable to source a new one. Does anyone have any ideas.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Craft Supplies
Triton
Robert Sorby
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact