By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jim A

Here is a list of all the postings Jim A has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Circular tiles
21/01/2012 18:44:26
Hi Ron

I don't know if this is what your looking for but you could give this link a try

http://www.ullapoolwoodturningcentre.co.uk/index_files/Page9033.htm

Jim
Thread: Jim's coat rack with drawers
21/01/2012 14:03:11
Hi Richard

Yeah it is quite alot of projects that I've worked on over the past year trying to build up a portfolio because I got made redundant and couldn't find another job so I started my own business JAG Woodworks and these are just a few if the items I've made to try and sell

No I didn't turn the knobs but I turned the coat pegs though yeah I did half blind dovetails (cheated done with jig) on the drawers just to give it a little extra touch but I've still got a long way to go till I'm up to the rest of your standards

Jim
Thread: Plate Rack
15/01/2012 21:24:00
Cheers Derek

It's just made from pine and I sell them bare timber so people can finish them to what ever they want?, antique pine with a wax finish or painted farrows cream or any colour they want?

Jim
Thread: Sawdust and offcut burners
12/01/2012 20:42:46
Hi Eric

Compared to my old workshop that the main room was 40'x20' and a second room that was 10'x10 and an office area aswell it was a bit of a squeeze to start off with but my old workshop leaked like a sieve so I had to move to a new one but I have to pay rent each month

Cheers

Jim
12/01/2012 02:18:30
Hi everyone hope you all had a good Christmas and new year?

Can anyone recommend a cheap but good sawdust burner I can use in my workshop because my workshop gets really cold sometimes and it's costing me a fortune to heat it with electric heaters and everything is taking so long to dry

The output doesnt need to be that high as I've only got a 30' x 10' workshop

Any advice or recommendations with be gratefully received

Cheers

Jim

Thread: Woodturning club in bury at Edmunds
03/06/2011 08:09:04
Hi everyone

Does anyone know if the turning club is still running I think it was set up by a fella called Ron who posts on this site

If anyone has contact info could you pads it on to me thanks in advance

James
Thread: Planing and thicknessing
14/11/2010 02:30:51
Congrats Oliver I've got the metabo hc 260 so I don't really know about your model but no wishing to teach you to suck eggs but just make sure you set it up properly and you'll see what a difference it makes, if your not sure how to do it the latest woodworking plans and projects (prob not spose to mention rival publications) they have a set up guide which I found invaluable as mine needed to be fine tuned They are such a useful machine Happy machining Jim
Thread: Finally fitted
09/11/2010 20:41:58
Mailee Quality piece of work there I bet the customer is pleased!! Jim
Thread: Ultra Cigar
09/11/2010 20:15:17
Hey chris another site you could try is fun-e-turnz that where I get all my pen kits from and they are good quality aswell James
Thread: Panel saws
08/11/2010 19:15:18
Hey everyone I'm looking to but a new panel saw up to the value of £1100 the two I've seen are the kity 619 and the jet jts-600 has anyone had any experience with either of the these that could give me any advice on the best one to buy Thanks in advance Jim
Thread: Sourcing elm and yew
05/06/2010 23:27:44
Hey everyone does anyone know of anywhwere I can source some elm or yew planks roughly 4-5" x 1 1/2" x 12" ish sort of size I'm in Colchester Essex any help gratefully recieved thanks jim
Thread: Exploding Chop Saw
04/08/2009 23:23:01
Hey sam i know how you feel my little makita chop saw did the same to me a few years ago mine cost me about 30quid inc labour to fix but i bent my guide arm so that had to be replaced your lucky that you didn't get hurt at all i took the full force of shattered plastic in the face only a few cuts luckily but hope you get it fixed soon jim
Thread: Help needed please
01/08/2009 22:09:56
Hey everyone i'm trying to get hold of some flexiply (aeroply) and big rolls (ie 8x4 sheet) of paperbacked veneer for a project but can only find suppliers in the us does anyone know of a reasonably priced suppliers in the uk cheers for any help jim
Thread: What bevel chisels?
01/08/2009 21:46:27
Hey woodie i've got a set of marples that are good for everyday use but i've got a few Ashley iles mk2 bevel edge chisels and they are awesome i've had them since iwex and used them most days and haven't had to sharpen them yet i've also heard that the Dovetail set is superb too jim
Thread: Jim A's Chair
08/07/2009 19:05:13
Cheers derek no its not finished yet i've got to find out what finish the customer wants i think it'll be either antique pine or light english oak yeah the table is almost finished just finishing the legs at the mo jim
08/07/2009 18:59:47
Cheers derek luckily its only two chairs and a square pedestal table no its not finished yet i've got to find out what finish the customer wants i think it'll be either antique pine or light english oak finished with clear wax the table is almost finished just finishing the legs at the mo jim

Edited By Jim A on 08/07/2009 19:03:14

Thread: Maple & American Walnut Box
20/05/2009 22:50:54
Mike absolutely superb jim
Thread: Jim's boxes
20/05/2009 22:44:00
Cheers gents opj no its not pitch pine i forgot to saw on the description its pine stained with light english oak that box was really just a tester because when i remake it its going to be out of maple and striped ebony could you please all give me your opinions on the other designs and be brutal because they are going to be for sale in a shop in my local town centre ie which look pony and where i could improve them i'll be posting mine and my fads turnings on soon when i've done so different styles cheers jim
Thread: Jims cot
07/05/2009 23:27:44
cheers baz you cant really see it on the cot but on the changing station it has come out quite patchy which i told my missus that it is rustic ha ha but using the sanding sealer first should stop that then and give an even tone thanks again for the advice i've got some more furniture to build so i'll definatly use your method cheers jim
07/05/2009 22:51:37
Baz i did think it was a bit odd myself because having never used it i thought perhaps it might be like when you use pu vanish it would give it a coating that you just sand down flat again before waxing? It was the Liberon sanding sealer if that makes any difference but yeah it def says stain if desired then apply 2-3 coats thoroughly sanding with 240grit between coats cheers for the advice on how to use it properly it do it the way you have said in future cheers jim
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Craft Supplies
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Robert Sorby
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact