By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Alan T.

Here is a list of all the postings Alan T. has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Narrow Boat
26/03/2012 20:51:58

Hello David, Just gobsmacking. Well done. Hope you have many hours of enjoyment after all your care and persistence. Cheers Alan T.

Thread: fading colour
23/03/2012 19:08:40

Don't think there is an absolute solution Wolfie, as U.V. light will bleach the colour out of almost anything given enough exposure. Avoid direct sunlight at all costs. Cheers Alan T.

Thread: Carving #2
23/03/2012 19:01:43

Hi Derek, Just another string to your allready considerable bow. Like it alot. Well done. Alan T.

Thread: chess set
23/03/2012 18:58:54

Hi Wolfie, That's a grand piece of work and no mistake. Could we see the pieces in a bit more detail please? Just love it all. Well done. Cheers Alan T.

Thread: Hollow form
14/03/2012 19:34:47

Nice one Derek, Like it. Well done. Alan T

Thread: HMS Trincomalee
15/02/2012 18:34:35
Hello Dennis, Just brilliant , hope your efforts are appreciated enough to make them worthwhile. Some turned fruit on a Tazza would go down well. Keep up the good work and well done. Alan T.
Thread: pens etc
14/02/2012 20:23:52
Hello Alan. To cast your own you need to make a small mould from wood just big enough for a pair of blanks then stick your chosen finish or photo on to the brass pen tubes. Then wedge the tubes in the mould and pour in clear resin enough to fill to the top. Allow to set 24 HRs and then dismantle the mould and saw the 2 blanks apart. then just turn and finish in the usual way. I can help with info on the source of resin if you like. Cheers Alan T
13/02/2012 19:47:41
Hello Alan, If your'e looking for more variety particularly for the Ladies can I suggest you look in my album under pens and clocks.If you cast your own blanks in polyester resin you can encapsulate almost anything, ie. scanned copies of maps or pics you have taken yourself or even glitter powder. You can also cast them in pewter if you can find some cheap old tankards. Endless variety with a bit of imagination. Good luck and stay warm. Regards Alan T.
12/02/2012 09:33:18
Derek's your man to answer that one Cheers Alan T
Thread: Red pearl pens
12/02/2012 09:28:22
Nicely done Simon, well done. Where is this place with no snow? Still not snow free here (Leicester) though roads ok. What is renaissance wax Please. Regards Alan T.
Thread: Couple of doors
12/02/2012 09:22:35
Hello Alan, you most certainly are very busy. My old man used to say ' If you want something doing ask a busy man' . Must have been a sage. Well done anyway, just love what you do. Cheers Alan T.
Thread: Ebonised Hollow form
01/02/2012 23:14:38
Hello Mark, That's a super finish you've achieved on lime which isn't easy to do.Well done.Did you use the spray type of finish? Alan T.
Thread: Making a cyclone dust interceptor
31/01/2012 14:11:29
Hi Guys, I've had a PM from Peter Parfitt. who for one reason or another has not been able to post a reply here. He would like me to pass on that there is a new video on u tube describing how to make a pressure relief valve for a cyclone which is also available via the cyclone central website. Cheers Alan T.
27/01/2012 19:32:58
Go for a road cone every time. Don,t know if you can buy them. Hot melt glue is fine and cheap. Top and bottom flanges in MDF and 2 feet of 4 inch dia plastic down pipe + 2 jubilee clips, and 6 nuts and bolts and away you go. Simples as the animal says.  Alan T.

Edited By Alan T. on 27/01/2012 19:36:55

26/01/2012 19:08:24
Hello Doug, I thought just the same thing, only time will tell. It does seem quite strong and rigid once assembled, and since it does not get moved at all no harm will come to it Thanks for looking Alan T..
26/01/2012 11:16:11
Forgot to say there are two pics in my album. Alan T
26/01/2012 11:03:01
Hi Guys, After the discussions on this subject on the forum last year I decided to purchase a cyclone kit from Cyclone Central. I ordered and paid for same in early December.After lots of delays and apologies for same, it was delivered earlier this week. There is a link to a video by Peter Parfitt making one which I found helpful. What you get for your £100 including P& P is : A 1/4 circle shaped piece of flexible plastic with a pear shaped cut out for the inlet pipe from which the cone is formed : A 50mm wide length of the same material machined in several places along its whole length to make it flexible enough to bend laterally and is used to join the seam of the cone: Top and bottom flanges in 12mm thick plastic machined as required to accept the cone: 2 X 8 ins long X 4ins diameter tubes; A bottle of super glue and an aerosol of accelerator: A tube of sealant come glue in a handy applicator. The really difficult part is the bending of the plastic shape to form the cone. Even when clamped under timber I found it almost impossible to fit the 2 sides together accurately. Bear in mind the adhesive is super glue with a 10 second set time. In the end I managed it but the ends were not perfectly square which led to difficulties in assembly. The top flange is accurately grooved to take the cone if it is perfectly circular and flat. It was neither. I filed away the small shoulder caused by myself and with help of some cursing and a 56 lb weight on top managed to position it well enough to apply adhesive/ sealant. Have to say that worked very well left for a few hours to set. At this point I made a replica of the smaller bottom flange to put inside the lid of the plastic dust container on which the cone is mounted. The bottom flange was not so difficult to attach. I then left it over night to set thoroughly . Next morning I used hot glue to fix and seal the inlet and output pipes. I had to use a drum sander to ease the hole in the top flange as it was too tight. no bolts or hose clips are supplied. Final assembly is simple. In operation it seems to work though the air flow is reduced somewhat. I forgot to mention there are no printed instructions at all,only the on line version. Don't think I would buy another. Moan over. Alan T
Thread: Making a cyclone dust interceptor
26/01/2012 11:00:10
Hi Guys, After the discussions on this subject on the forum last year I decided to purchase a cyclone kit from Cyclone Central. I ordered and paid for same in early December.After lots of delays and apologies for same, it was delivered earlier this week. There is a link to a video by Peter Parfitt making one which I found helpful. What you get for your £100 including P& P is : A 1/4 circle shaped piece of flexible plastic with a pear shaped cut out for the inlet pipe from which the cone is formed : A 50mm wide length of the same material machined in several places along its whole length to make it flexible enough to bend laterally and is used to join the seam of the cone: Top and bottom flanges in 12mm thick plastic machined as required to accept the cone: 2 X 8 ins long X 4ins diameter tubes; A bottle of super glue and an aerosol of accelerator: A tube of sealant come glue in a handy applicator. The really difficult part is the bending of the plastic shape to form the cone. Even when clamped under timber I found it almost impossible to fit the 2 sides together accurately. Bear in mind the adhesive is super glue with a 10 second set time. In the end I managed it but the ends were not perfectly square which led to difficulties in assembly. The top flange is accurately grooved to take the cone if it is perfectly circular and flat. It was neither. I filed away the small shoulder caused by myself and with help of some cursing and a 56 lb weight on top managed to position it well enough to apply adhesive/ sealant. Have to say that worked very well left for a few hours to set. At this point I made a replica of the smaller bottom flange to put inside the lid of the plastic dust container on which the cone is mounted. The bottom flange was not so difficult to attach. I then left it over night to set thoroughly . Next morning I used hot glue to fix and seal the inlet and output pipes. I had to use a drum sander to ease the hole in the top flange as it was too tight. no bolts or hose clips are supplied. Final assembly is simple. In operation it seems to work though the air flow is reduced somewhat. I forgot to mention there are no printed instructions at all,only the on line version. Don't think I would buy another. Moan over. Alan T
Thread: My new 'toy'
16/01/2012 19:48:29
All your hard work paying off. Well done and good luck with it. Cheers Alan T.
Thread: intarsia motorcycle
16/01/2012 19:33:20
Hi Robert , Just a brilliant piece. I love it. Well done. I have not heard the term Intarsia before,would you kindly explain? Cheers Alan T. P.S. have you turned another clock yet?
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact